How do I boost my WiFi signal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing missing from my brewshop is being able to be on line while I'm down there (in the basement).

My laptop goes just-out-of-range when I get to the bottom of the stairs.

Is there a relay booster you can buy (like at radio shack) that will pick up your signal and boost it further?

thanks.

Most of the off-the-shelf range extenders are garbage. The best thing you can do is move the wireless access point. Sometimes putting it in a corner will extend the range slightly. Mostly, just move it closer to where you intend to use your wireless computer.

There are some DIY antenna projects that are pretty cool, but wireless data transfer requires two-way communication, so you'd need to increase the capabilities of both the access point and the wireless computer itself.

You may want to consider upgrading to N. Or G MIMO, which will require a new usb or PCMCIA card. Prolly run you, $60 for everything for the MIMO or double that for N.

Remember that your antenna's operate on a circular plane that is perpendicular to the antenna shaft. If you have both antenna's pointing up, the floor its' located on will get most of the signal. Try locating one up, one horizontal, etc and rotating the router to adjust the planes for maximum usability throughout the house. I found that my best whole house placement was in the basement rafters with the antenna's at about 45*. That gets me ok signal in the basement, great signal upstairs, and ok signal on the 2nd floor.

Options:

* Locate another access point downstairs.
* If Linksys WRT54G (v1-4), local alternate firmware (HyperWRT) and boost the signal level (default is 52 of 254).
* make sure both antennas are on (diversity) rather than one xmit, one receive.
* Try making foil parabolic antenna's (google). They are cheap and work pretty well.

pahiker6 said:
...I wouldn't recommend upgrading to an N router until the spec has been finalized.
If you stay within the same manufacturer, there is nothing wrong with the pre-N stuff. I wouldn't try to mix different manufacturers on the same network though.

OP you can also try getting an external antenna for your access point (if it supports it). You can get some that are powered and act as a booster. They tend to be hit or miss (as someone mentioned you need to be able to SEND as a client as well). The best solution (as was also mentioned) is to find a better location for the access point itself.

There also used to be an adapter that you could use with a network cable. That way you could put the adapter as close to the AP as possible and then hook your lappy to it with network cable.

Linksys had one but its discontinued.

olllllo said:
There also used to be an adapter that you could use with a network cable. That way you could put the adapter as close to the AP as possible and then hook your lappy to it with network cable.

Linksys had one but its discontinued.
That would be a wireless bridge. DLink makes one, I believe there was even a branded one for the XBox from Microsoft. I'm sure a google will turn up a bunch of different models from various suppliers.

I've got my access point on the first floor so I get signal in the basement, second floor, and even out in the backyard. It's pretty sweet. I was streaming MP3 off my upstairs desktop during my backyard movie party. I was shocked I was getting signal.

If you're interested in buying new hardware, I recommend the WRT54G router from LinkSys. Then install the DD-WRT firmware (free) on it and customize the settings. I use one of these and get a great signal throughout the house.

Yuri_Rage said:
If you're interested in buying new hardware, I recommend the WRT54G router from LinkSys. Then install the DD-WRT firmware (free) on it and customize the settings. I use one of these and get a great signal throughout the house.

I use this WAP also and have no coverage issues. Great signal strength on all floors, the basement, garage, back deck, front porch, etc.

Just make sure that you either enable WEP or use MAC filtering, or else your neighbors will be pilfering your connection like Evan! does to his neighbors! Also make sure to set a password and not leave the default login to Admin with a blank password.

As someone else also mentioned, changing the primary channel may help a little, but will likely not resolve your issue completely.

My neighbor pissed me off a few months ago so I changed the IP of his WAP for him because he never changed his password. It took me about 10 seconds. If I was *really* trying to be malicious I could have gotten to his machines pretty easily. Point being - change passwords and enable some kind of security.

ohiobrewtus said:
...Just make sure that you either enable WEP or use MAC filtering...
Enable WPA, not WEP (WEP is quite literally useless). MAC filtering is pointless too, WPA and a large password is all you actually need. If you want to increase perceived security you can stop broadcasting your SSID but that's more of a placebo.

Edit: acronym mis-spelling

Personally, I like MAC filtering. My neighbors aren't smart enough to get around it, and it doesn't slow the connection at all like encryption or other "secure" measures can.

Yuri_Rage said:
Personally, I like MAC filtering. My neighbors aren't smart enough to get around it, and it doesn't slow the connection at all like encryption or other "secure" measures can.
Neighbors wouldn't be the major concern, it's 'war drivers' who break into minimally secure connections and send out mass quantities of spam that all track back to you (not them). MAC filtering is not a security measure for wireless.

In your case you may be in an area where that is not an issue, but that is not the case for everyone.

As for speed issues, if you're using it just for browsing the internet, the bottleneck is by far your internet connection and wireless is still MUCH faster than that (provided you have the signal strength) so you wouldn't even notice.

I apologize if I sound like I'm on a crusade or something, it's definitely not my intention and I definitely don't mean to single anyone out for any particular point, just want to get the information out there.

bradsul said:
Enable WPA, not WEP (WEP is quite literally useless). MAC filtering is pointless too, WPA and a large password is all you actually need.

WEP and MAC filtering both have their uses in the right setting. For starters, if you have a TIVO or PSP, in your house that's all you can support.... Also, as Yuri mentioned, MAC filtering has no overhead. I frequently work with my other machines and my server from my laptop and encryption is noticeable. Even for internet connections, it does introduce a latency that's not there natively. Because of the double encoding, it's noticeable in an SSH session. As for location, unless you are fairly urban, all I need to keep out are two not-so-nosey neighbors and the occasional drive by contractor. In this case, anything that requires more than a cursory knowledge/effort is fine...

If you're really wireless security conscious, install IPcop, put the wireless on the "blue" network, and VPN into your own LAN from the couch. That's what I install for all my buddies in Al Quaeda cells. :p

It's far cheaper/easier to send the spam off open relays. As for the war drivers, it does happen, but unless you are in a high density area it generally ranges from non-existent to benign. I do it myself when I'm out of town and need net access in a weird area. Like our last camping trip. I got a support call from work that required attention. I just drove to the nearest subdivision (about 5 miles) and leeched for about 1/2 hour till I got the problem fixed. Had that failed, I would have dialed in the GPS to the nearest McDonald's or Krystal.

I'm with Mutilated. I like wires so I would drop a network wire to the basement. I have holes all through my house because of this.

pldoolittle said:
WEP and MAC filtering both have their uses in the right setting. For starters, if you have a TIVO or PSP, in your house that's all you can support.... Also, as Yuri mentioned, MAC filtering has no overhead. I frequently work with my other machines and my server from my laptop and encryption is noticeable. Even for internet connections, it does introduce a latency that's not there natively. Because of the double encoding, it's noticeable in an SSH session. As for location, unless you are fairly urban, all I need to keep out are two not-so-nosey neighbors and the occasional drive by contractor. In this case, anything that requires more than a cursory knowledge/effort is fine...

If you're really wireless security conscious, install IPcop, put the wireless on the "blue" network, and VPN into your own LAN from the couch. That's what I install for all my buddies in Al Quaeda cells. :p

It's far cheaper/easier to send the spam off open relays. As for the war drivers, it does happen, but unless you are in a high density area it generally ranges from non-existent to benign. I do it myself when I'm out of town and need net access in a weird area. Like our last camping trip. I got a support call from work that required attention. I just drove to the nearest subdivision (about 5 miles) and leeched for about 1/2 hour till I got the problem fixed. Had that failed, I would have dialed in the GPS to the nearest McDonald's or Krystal.
WEP and MAC filtering are never acceptable options, being forced to them by the other insecure equipment you're using is a different story. Security is not meant to be easy, it is meant to be secure. Anyway I've said my piece so I won't pollute the thread anymore. :) Whatever way you decide to go it is better than wide open.

Now to disconnect my VPN connection to my home office and stop evading the firewall restrictions at the office office. :mug:

Yuri_Rage said:

I enter in the mac addresses of all of my pc's into the wap and deny all other connections. The odds of two nic's having the same mac address being located in the same geographical vicinity are somewhere in the billions... wpa, wep, mac, if people can't get in, you're safe - no need for overhead.

ohiobrewtus said:
The odds of two nic's having the same mac address being located in the same geographical vicinity are somewhere in the billions.

There are 281,474,976,710,655 possible unique addresses.

But, since each manufacturer is responsible for a given block of addresses there should never be a duplicate number issued.

MAC spoofing is possible (and quite easy), but unless you are in a high density area, extremely unlikely. In my case, it assumes the 4 people in range have the motive, and means to do so.

Aren't we all forgetting that BM's Junk is Ugly?

Meaning...whats the EASY way to do it...

I'd probubly just run a wire

bradsul said:
WEP and MAC filtering are never acceptable options <...> Security is not meant to be easy, it is meant to be secure.

Respectfully, I work in data security and it is generally accepted that there is no benefit in installing security that far exceeds the environmental requirements. For example, it would not be practical to install a two factor authentication system and a 4" thick iron gate on a chain link fence.

Similarly, if you live in an apartment in a metropolitan area WPA is probably a good idea. I might even VPN my wireless. But if you live on a 50 acre ranch, MAC filtering will keep out the occasional mobile contractor and visitors web phone.

In my case, I have exactly two people in range. Both call on me for the most basic tech support, and I know their router admin passwords. I use WEP because it is medium impact, compatible with TIVO, and keeps out curiosity browsing. Sure, a half a** script kiddie could gain access, but they would be pretty obvious camped out in my driveway while they gathered packets...

greenhornet said:
Meaning...whats the EASY way to do it...

I'd probubly just run a wire

Me too. But he asked "How do I boost my WiFi signal?" which gives me and the other geeks a few pages to philosophize... :)

Well, while you guys were dialoguing, I decided to check into what pahiker6 said...(6th reply). Of course his mention of his solution as the "not most attractive" caught my attention.

So here it is. about 30 minutes and $0.00 expense.

Cut out 6" squares of some scarp cardboard. This was nice, thin sturdy cardboard (from a box I was saving for shipment during the next beerswap)

wireless_1.jpg

Here are the pieces. They crimped to a nice curve.

wireless_2.jpg

Apply some tin foil with some glue, trim and fold excess over and tape the back with clear tape.

wireless_3.jpg

I made a simple rectangular collar with a slot cut for the shape I wanted. It was the simplest thing I could come up with but very effective at holding the "antenna" to shape and supporting on the wireless post.

wireless_4.jpg

Here they are from a different angle. They're pointed at the "meat" of the house...

wireless_5.jpg

Cont'd >>>>>>>

I neede to shift the position so I could capture the basement location I was having trouble with.

wireless_6.jpg

The result? Here I am ready to upload images for this post.

Now I can taunt you even whilst I'm in mid brew....:D

wireless_7.jpg

i bought a cantenna.. cause im stealing, cause im poor...

it works pretty well.. got 2 extra bars in windows zero config..

Back