temp controllers and multiple ferm wraps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeukelman

Reaction score
Is it possible to hook up more than one fermwrap to a single controller? Perhaps via a power strip? Or is that a fire hazard?

Thinking about ordering a controller and just need to figure out how many I need.

Thanks!

What are you trying to do? I can't really imagine how that would be useful or necessary, unless you are trying to keep a very large batch warm in a very cold ambient context.

But, fermwraps are very low wattage. Check the capacities on your temp controller, but you shouldn't have any trouble.

Thanks for the response. I'm simply wanting to ferment and keep warm more than one carboy at a time. They will be sitting right next to each other so therefore should be the same temp.

I'm thinking one controller, one temp probe and two ferm wraps.

Seem reasonable?

The need for one temp probe assumes both fermentations are behaving exactly the same. Fermentations produce heat. If the 2 are producing heat differently, they won't be at the same temp. If it's the same yeast starter, same wort, same recipe maybe it's not a problem.

Thanks for the response. I'm simply wanting to ferment and keep warm more than one carboy at a time. They will be sitting right next to each other so therefore should be the same temp.

I'm thinking one controller, one temp probe and two ferm wraps.

Seem reasonable?

'Should be' being the active phrase...If it's the same batch, same yeast, same amount in each carboy...

What type of temp controller? Analog or digital? Ferm Wraps do not draw that much and would be fine on the same controller. Think about the amount of power need to run a chest freezer compared to a wrap.

According to morebeer, the fermwrap uses 40W @ 120V (0.33 A).

The Ranco can handle up to 16A @ 120V (<2000W).

So there's no worries.

But I'd agree with the others that you can't simply assume the two carboys will be the same temp.

Have you looked into a Sanke fermenter and one of these? http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

If you're doing 10 gallon batches, it's cheap and easy, simple to clean, and you'll have a nice polished thermowell built in for your temp controller probe.

Thanks for the response guys. I didn't know that fermentation gives off heat. Good to know.

Also the sanke kit looks interesting.

Thanks again

If you are doing batches on separate days, keep the thermal probe on the newest one. Once it has fermented for a few days the temperature control doesn't need to be as accurate.

Back