Another Saison recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkane101

Reaction score
I found this recipe on Brewmasterwarehouse and was thinking of using it. Here's my question, I often (almost always) see sugar added to Saison recipes and was wondering if I should consider adding some to this.
Any other thoughts on the recipe?

Belgian Pilsner 10 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann Vienna 1 lbs, 4 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat 1 lbs, 4 oz
Styrian Golding Pellets 1.5 oz @ 90 mins
Styrian Golding Pellets .5 oz @ 15 mins
Saaz, Czech Pellets .5 oz @ 10 mins
Styrian Golding Pellets .5 oz @ 5 mins
Saaz, Czech Pellets .5 oz @ 0 mins
Wyeast Labs French Saison - 3711

mash @148 for 75mins Batch sparge @168
90 min boil

Primary Fermentation - as warm as I can get it up to 95deg for 3-4 weeks or until finished
Secondary - none

Saison's are traditionally very dry. Without running this through Beersmith, I can't tell what your OG would be already, but I think a lb of sugar wouldn't be a bad thing. The question would be if you wanted to cut back on something else to compensate.

btw... don't change the yeast! Wyeast 3711 is the BEST saison yeast on the market.

I second ChshreCat's statement. Since saisons are supposed to be bone dry, I tend to think adding sugar will only help achieve a desirable result. If adding the lb. of sugar will keep you within a BU:GU ratio you prefer, great. Just eyeballing your recipe, looks like you'll be fine.

Thx for the quick responses CC & hey! This is for a 6g batch and beersmith is telling me that the estimated OG is 1.060 based on 75% eff.
And yeah from everything I've read 3711 is an absolute beast! Looking forward to this.
Any suggestions on suger? Common table sugar seems to be good enough ..again..from what I've read. This is my first Saison and I'm totally stoked.
Cheers!

I used table sugar for mine. If you're not needing to get any special flavor or color elements, then table sugar is just as good as candy sugar for something like this. Or you can use corn sugar if you have some laying around.

Back