MLT Parts / Zinc Plated Washers???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
I recenlty built an MLT using a 5 gallon round cooler. I haven't used it yet, I still need to pickle the brass parts. I have a question though. The only SS washers I could find were Zinc plated SS.....are these ok to use????

Thanks!

the_bird said:
Anything that is in contact with wort needs to be stainless, brass, or copper - NOT GALVANIZED. Galvanized will leech zinc into the wort - a very, very bad thing. The biggest issue I had putting this together was finding a SS washer the right size; I ended up making one out of a piece of plastic, I simply could not find one big enough.

When I built mine, I couldn't find suitable washers at places like home depot, but I found some perfect SS ones at an actual local hardware store. (the ones with the whole aisle of small parts in bins...)

No, you really shouldn't use plated washers. The pH of the mash is fairly acidic, and it can corrode away the plating, and it will end up in your beer. This could lead to some metallic off-flavours in your beer (not sure if it is a potential health concern or not).

Contact skifast1 if you need a SS washer. He bought a bulk package and is selling individual washers to members here at cost.

Ok, thanks for the info...I wish I didn't spend all that time making the holes bigger in the washers with my dremel... :) Oh well.

I will stop by another little local hardware store today. HD and Lowes only had the zinc plated ones.

On a side note...about pickling the brass parts. Do I just mix 3 parts Hydrogen Peroxide and 1 part Distilled White Vinegar. So like 3oz HP and 1 oz vinegar..???

You have to look in the specialty parts drawers in the hardware isle at these stores, not in the bulk bolt/washers/nuts bins. They don't zinc-plate stainless steel by the way (it's more like plain steel). I've gotten any size stainless washer I've needed at Lowes. It could be a region thing though since I'm near a coast where stainless would be more in demand.

well, I still couldn't find freakin SS washers anywhere.

I picked up some SAE Fender Washers that didn't say anything about being plated or whatever. They just said steel. I used the MLT this weekend and the washers on the inside look like they aged 100 years. Is this gonna make me retarded if I drink this now?

wtf...i went to lowes in turnersville, nj. Im in South Jersey. I will continue my search...

However, any one have any idea about my current washers. I soaked the MLT in PBW for about 20 mins before using and the washers got sorta dark...I will have to take another look at them when I get home today to see if they are rusted or whatever. I just hope I dont get brain damage now, lol.

Did you find the specialty hardware drawers in the hardware isle? You'll find things like mirror clamps, rubber stoppers, furniture fasteners, etc in the same area. It's usually between the heavy duty bolts and drywall screws.

Yea that's where I was looking.

So will SAE Fender Washers make me retarded if I drink this beer??? It came out sooooo goood!

Why not just contact sk1fast like flyguy said? He sent them to me in 2 days across the nation.

I did the 5 gallon MLT conversion and only used washers on the outside of the cooler. It keeps a tight seal and requires not SS washers at all. just a thought. Make sure it is tight but not too tight. I filled with 4 gallons and let sit for 1 hr and no leaks, just rubber on inside and copper valve.

Jay

Back