Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious...how do u fight foaming issue? Lots of ice...

Classic btw!

Thanks, I'm a novice when it comes to kegging, but for a party I just couldn't picture myself explaining how to pour a bottle conditioned beer all night long. I added a bottle opener on the front and would like to add a drip tray in the future.

I didn't have problems with foaming this first time around. Just had two kegs going set each one in a bucket added ice, the buckets cut down on the amount of ice needed. The beer lines are about 5 ft, it worked really well. I was prepared to put an ice pack in the tower, but foaming wasn't a problem. Maybe it was dumb luck. :mug:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-6-9-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-HMCF7W2/203445397

Or, this one with no collar at all. You could put a tower on the top, just like you would have to do with the mini that you are looking at.

But seriously, a 2 by 6 and a skill saw and screwdriver can get you one that would be functional with less expense and work than what you will need to do to modify that mini.

I haven't done any research on a mini freezer. What do you mean by a "collar"? And why does one need one and the other not? And wouldn't the freezer "freeze" the lines and the beer?

Do some research on keezers (keg freezer). Temp is controlled with external controller to keep it above freezing temps. Collar makes it easy to add taps. Sometimes collar can lift the lid enough to make room for another keg to sit on the compressor hump too.

I haven't done any research on a mini freezer. What do you mean by a "collar"? And why does one need one and the other not? And wouldn't the freezer "freeze" the lines and the beer?

of course I'm flaunting mine - but there are several around this page that show the benefits of a collar and chest freezer and temp control...
here's mine

Do some research on keezers (keg freezer). Temp is controlled with external controller to keep it above freezing temps. Collar makes it easy to add taps. Sometimes collar can lift the lid enough to make room for another keg to sit on the compressor hump too.

Alright will do! I can't afford this stuff right now, so I'm in no rush. Just really looking to see what I want to do. I want to do it right the first time, so I don't wish I had something better. I only need 2 kegs because I only ever have 2 brews on at a time and between my wife, me and our friends, we go through it fast enough that even right now we only really ever have 2 different kinds bottled at a time.

I am getting a free mini fridge this week. Don't know how big it is, but I'm pumped to see what it's like and if I can work with it.

Sorry for the slow response. I saw a black friday 5 cf freezer on a walmart mailing for $99. That along with a temp controller (amazon inkbird) for $35. No collar necessary. 2 kegs and a co2 could sit in the freezer and you could serve with picnic taps. Wouldn't get much cheaper than that. Or easier.

The collar just allows you to
- get lines and taps into and out of the freezer through the wood without drilling through the side of the freezer
- give you extra space to utilize the compressor hump for more kegs.

Cant beat a free mini fridge. Just know that even putting a tower on top would probably cost $100 + and take more work than a collar.

One thing to keep in mind. While there are some beautiful works of art on this site, they accomplish the same thing. THey just look nicer. And many look WAY nicer. They are like shrines to our beer.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your build. Any kegging system will beat bottling.

Alright will do! I can't afford this stuff right now, so I'm in no rush. Just really looking to see what I want to do. I want to do it right the first time, so I don't wish I had something better. I only need 2 kegs because I only ever have 2 brews on at a time and between my wife, me and our friends, we go through it fast enough that even right now we only really ever have 2 different kinds bottled at a time.

I am getting a free mini fridge this week. Don't know how big it is, but I'm pumped to see what it's like and if I can work with it.

Look around at Adventures in Homebrewing, William's Brewing, Home Brew Supply, More Beer, etc. You may come out better by buying a "keg system" that has all the components you need (kegs, gas/beer lines, gas/beer disconnects, regulator, etc). The co2 tank will be the only exception, but some places let you add that as an option. Personally, I'd just go to the local gas supply and get the co2 there and swap tanks like you would propane tanks when they empty.

You could always use picnic taps if you can't splurge on the tower/taps. That's what I did for a while until I found my 4 tap tower. I bought my tower here, so the used section here is also a good resource. Best of luck.

Keep your eye on Craig's List. CO2 tanks pop up quite often. People with aquariums as paint ballers as well as home brewers use them and sell them as they get out of their hobbies. As Yesfan said, just trade it in at the local Airgas, the condition is not important.

If you are not in a hurry you can find some really good deals

I converted an old work fridge into a kegerator...

sdpj0g.jpg

vzkl6u.jpg

I had planned on covering it with stickers but I think it looks too damn classy as is. Took a bit of touch up paint and polish/wax.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480268003.691107.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480268046.912235.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480268061.932518.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480268076.006749.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480268090.925708.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480268102.873645.jpg I've been kegging for years and finally upgraded my keezer to a purpose built unit. It took me no time at all to put this together. I have had more satisfaction pouring a beer out of these taps then any other. I have it setup so I can run a sanke or a cornie on any tap (except one sanke which is a lo-pro perlick with barbs instead of nuts)... 2" pvc used as a sleeve between top of fridge and tower and a small pc fan in enclosure pushes cold air through the tap tower.

View attachment 378451View attachment 378452View attachment 378453View attachment 378454View attachment 378455View attachment 378456 I've been kegging for years and finally upgraded my keezer to a purpose built unit. It took me no time at all to put this together. I have had more satisfaction pouring a beer out of these taps then any other. I have it setup so I can run a sanke or a cornie on any tap (except one sanke which is a lo-pro perlick with barbs instead of nuts)... 2" pvc used as a sleeve between top of fridge and tower and a small pc fan in enclosure pushes cold air through the tap tower.

How are the taps attach to the tower? Machined caps or did you find a piece that worked?

^2" to 1" bushings. The shank sets itself and the nut on the back is big enough to seal the hole.

very cool, AP

Nice Ariz-Poet. I'm not sure that I have seen anyone cover a refrigerator like that before.
Thanks guys.
My wife and I have a smallish 1 bdrm house where I already have a large fridge I use to age beers with a Johnson control and a mini fridge for cold beer.
So having yet another fridge I had to make it look cool, as it would be in the living room.

CGVT it's prob not done on fridges cuz it's hard. My friend actually hit the refrigerant line rendering the fridge useless.
Fortunately another friend easily fixed it for me and now it runs better than when I got it.
It's a 20yr old fridge I got for free with some pallets I got outta the trash
So not a bad deal.

Heres my Kegerator I did about a year ago. Really happy with the outcome! All old pallet wood directly mounted to an old cheap mini fridge.

This last one is an old Coca-cola fridge I just picked up that Im using for a fermentation chamber right now but have some big plans and really awesome ideas to convert it into a kegerator really soon here. Im really excited about that one! Ill post pics when I get to it.

Heres my Kegerator I did about a year ago. Really happy with the outcome! All old pallet wood directly mounted to an old cheap mini fridge.

This last one is an old Coca-cola fridge I just picked up that Im using for a fermentation chamber right now but have some big plans and really awesome ideas to convert it into a kegerator really soon here. Im really excited about that one! Ill post pics when I get to it.

Great work! I love it.

There are only a few examples of split top keezers, so I thought I would put up photo's of my bar/keezer build. It was up and running after 2 weeks of work, but small things (like hinges, lid stays, case fans) were added over another 3-4 weeks.

Started with a 7 cf chest freezer, and added a collar made with 1 inch foam insulation sandwiched between plywood.
bar%205_zpshipzgfv3.jpg

Bar4_zpsfxgucopp.jpg

The collar is glued to the freezer with silicone. The side panels are attached to 1/2 inch blocks glued to the collar, and a spacer glued at the bottom of the freezer. They end 1/2 inch above the floor, and about 1/2 inch below the top, so there is air flow on all sides of the freezer (kind of like a chimney). The panels are all attached with screws (hidden by wooden plugs) so they can be removed.

Brass tower and brass finish perlick faucets
D79F76F7-DD88-44C1-8144-62D67C9A958C_zpsh0sbgmm9.jpg

1CE56527-5D5F-4730-93E1-8F1F6AA8C1BC_zpshgeqsv9g.jpg

Each half of the top hinges upward. One half with a shelf for bottles above the kegs:
16F9B729-4452-42C9-9732-EC72FD037B58_zpssixjvazv.jpg

and the other half with the gas and liquid lines.

There are 2 fans for air movement in the chest, and a 1 inch fan pointing up the tower. the 1 inch case fan glues up nicely to a pvc (new) drain fitting from the hardware store.

0BE54529-EA57-45D6-9A13-D0F13F0D25A9_zpsnanewkjj.jpg

Temp control is with an inkbird wired, display is here where it fits into the cut out for the compressor vent:

ACEFD560-7932-46C3-B362-FD63C0A752C3_zps5ugejkus.jpg

I'm not totally happy with the finish on the bar top, had to re-do one side, and will probably remake both halves so the finish is better.

tim

There are only a few examples of split top keezers, so I thought I would put up photo's of my bar/keezer build. It was up and running after 2 weeks of work, but small things (like hinges, lid stays, case fans) were added over another 3-4 weeks.

Started with a 7 cf chest freezer, and added a collar made with 1 inch foam insulation sandwiched between plywood.
bar%205_zpshipzgfv3.jpg

Bar4_zpsfxgucopp.jpg

The collar is glued to the freezer with silicone. The side panels are attached to 1/2 inch blocks glued to the collar, and a spacer glued at the bottom of the freezer. They end 1/2 inch above the floor, and about 1/2 inch below the top, so there is air flow on all sides of the freezer (kind of like a chimney). The panels are all attached with screws (hidden by wooden plugs) so they can be removed.

Brass tower and brass finish perlick faucets
D79F76F7-DD88-44C1-8144-62D67C9A958C_zpsh0sbgmm9.jpg

1CE56527-5D5F-4730-93E1-8F1F6AA8C1BC_zpshgeqsv9g.jpg

Each half of the top hinges upward. One half with a shelf for bottles above the kegs:
16F9B729-4452-42C9-9732-EC72FD037B58_zpssixjvazv.jpg

and the other half with the gas and liquid lines.

There are 2 fans for air movement in the chest, and a 1 inch fan pointing up the tower. the 1 inch case fan glues up nicely to a pvc (new) drain fitting from the hardware store.

0BE54529-EA57-45D6-9A13-D0F13F0D25A9_zpsnanewkjj.jpg

Temp control is with an inkbird wired, display is here where it fits into the cut out for the compressor vent:

ACEFD560-7932-46C3-B362-FD63C0A752C3_zps5ugejkus.jpg

I'm not totally happy with the finish on the bar top, had to re-do one side, and will probably remake both halves so the finish is better.

tim

That split top is a great idea. Access to bottles, room for kegs.

Its actually premeasured between the 14.8cu ft chest and 2.1 cu ft chest freezer to sit equally on top the butcher block. A piece of plywood was installed inside the 14.8 ft chest freezer lid to help support the butcher block and the tower. The towers weighs 32 lbs and the the butcher block 106 lbs, In order to raise both pieces up I installed some trunk shocks( I think from a 4 runner that i got from a salvage yard).

IMG_20150822_205930_086.jpg

IMG_20150829_193154_254.jpg

IMG_20150904_084718_914.jpg

IMG_20150912_180755_432.jpg

20160331_214225.jpg

The little chest freezer is my custom glycol chiller. I have a container filled with glycol and a pump inside the 14.8 cu ft chest freezer which pumps the glycol out to the 2.1 cu ft freezer where i installed copper tubing to chill the glycol down, which recirculates through the towers, keeping the beer lines chilled. Beer comes around 38-40 degrees everytime (depending on small chest freezer setting).

20160331_214044.jpg

20160331_214052.jpg

20160331_214124.jpg

In order to open the lid, the chest freezer needs to go back a few inches, to accommodate this, i installed drawer tracks underneath the large chest freezer so it can slide back and forth.

IMG_20150903_214827_713.jpg

20160331_220535.jpg

20160331_221555.jpg

20160331_214321.jpg

Back