overshot my mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
I overshot my mash temp (temporarily) by about 20 degrees. horrible mistake, i know. I lowered it as quickly as i could with bottled water (didn't have any ice bottles)

I'm making an IIPA. OG was 1100 on the dot. Question: since my OG was so high, does that mean the sugars properly converted and will ferment out fine? Or is there still a possibility that i'm going to end up w/a thicker, sweet, high FG brew?

what was your target temp? what was your initial rest temp? how long , and how much water did it take to lower your temp to the desired rest temp? What did thta make your qt/lb ratio?

what was your target temp? what was your initial rest temp? how long , and how much water did it take to lower your temp to the desired rest temp? What did thta make your qt/lb ratio?

target was 151. initial rest temp was 149. I fired up the burner for 90 seconds to try to raise it those 2 more effing degrees, but my thermos weren't quick enough in responding. I left for about 10 mins after i turned off the burner and came back and noticed it was at 170, got enraged, cursed, kicked some $hit, poured about a gallon of bottled water into the mash. I dunno what it did to my qt/lb ratio, i hadn't been keeping track.

I would have left it at the 149, and managed the temp carefully by hitting it with some flame here and there, 170 is enough to denature enzymes, but if you were quick enough to drop tmeps then you should be okay.

I would expect a higher finishing gravity then estimated, and a more mlaty/sweet product.

I'd assume that if your mash temp rose to about 170 in 10 minutes, your 1 gallon of water didn't get your temps down to the 151 you wanted. 10 minutes to 170, and 1 gallon of water would take a while to cool/stabilize to whatever temp you ended up at, so again more dextrinous wort, and higher FG.

either way you will have produced a less fermentable wort than expected, and can expect a higher FG, even if you got your temps down really quickly you'll still have a slighlty less fermentable wort.\\This is all assuming your thermos are all calibrated and functioning properly.

So the high og and the sweetness aren't indicators that all is well and it will ferment out fine?

It'll ferment out fine if you ended up somewhere around 156 but as mentioned, your FG will be a few points higher than anticipated which results in a maltier brew.

Exactly, you'll still have a good beer, just a bit sweeter, maybe your yeast will attenuate higher than you expect, but I would guess your FG is going to end up higher than estimated.

It all really depends on what your rest temp stabilized at, mid to upper 150's will definitely give you a fuller bodied beer, 145-150, IMO is a light bodied beer, 151-154 medium, and 155 and up will be a heavy body.

Again I don't know exactly what your rest temp came out to, but I'm assuming you will have a medium bodied beer at best. The higher mash temps will create a less fermentable wort, which is okay for a chewy IIPA.

I nice example of a malty IIPA is Firestone Walker's Double Jack, good stuff, but chewy, can't drink too many of them.

It's been fermenting strong for 42 hrs now..... so as long as that's happening, ik the gravity is getting lower and I'm happy

What yeast did you pitch? Did you aerate the wort prior to pitching? Did you pitch enough viable yeast?

What yeast did you pitch? Did you aerate the wort prior to pitching? Did you pitch enough viable yeast?

pitched a half gallon starter made with 2 vials of white labs california ale yeast, it was most definitely viable.

Wort was aerated. Tried to do additional aeration with a aquarium pump and a hepa filter, but the pos pump was too weak to get thru the filter

btw, still going strong 66 hrs later....

WLP001 is a good attenuator, you might be surprised at the results. I recently brewed a 10 gallon batch of a british/american Pale Ale, and split it into two 5 gallon batches, pitched WL023 Burton Ale into one, and WL001 Cali Ale into the other, fermented hem at about 66-67°f for 10 days, when I was racking to the keg, I could see the WLP001 becoming active by the yeast jumping off the bottom. I had reached my target FG, so quickly placed the keg into the kegerator at 38°f.

I'm assuming that i probably would have gotten another point or two if I would have let it sit out at 70°f.

Anyhow, like I saod you will still have a good beer, and if you dry hop it well, the more malty sweetness might just compliment the hop flavor and aroma.

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!

this yeast is unstoppable. i believe it's completely determined to eat every damn bit of sugar in the carboy. after 5 full days of fermenting, it still has a 2 inch krausen and the yeast is still visibly swirling. this brew might turn out to be almost as big as i had hoped. btw, it's a ST Unearthly IIPA clone, so if its even half as good, it will be a great beer

Back