Looking for a good grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neddy

Reaction score
I'm getting my AG set-up together. I'd like to eventually buy my grains in bulk so I'll need a grain mill. What would you guys suggest? I've seen single and double roller mills and adjustable and non-adjustable versions. I'd like to keep th price as reasonalbe as possible. Thanks for the suggestions.

I just got the Barley Crusher. I love it!!
barleycrushers.jpg

I made a double roller mill, and I really like it. With 12" rollers, it's about 3 times bigger than most of the commercially available ones.

Though I don't have personal experience using the Crankandstein, I like its design. I'd probably have bought that one if I didn't want to make my own.

I now use a non-adjustable JSP mill and love it. It may not work so well for six row malt (which I never use), but for what I use (Maris Otter, Crystal, Carapils, and occasionally Wheat), it works great.

-a.

Hey I used one of them at my LHBS. I got a lot of excercise before finding the electric one in the back.

I use an adjustable 2 roller crank-n-stein with good effect. I power it with my 18 v cordless drill.

You either have to buy their mounting kit and hopper, or like myself, make your own.

My hopper is simply an old Propel water bottle with the bottom cut off (it holds exactly one pound of grain, which is good if you want to measure as you grind.

That said, I'm hoping to get a real hopper soon.

Beer Snob said:
Hey I used one of them at my LHBS. I got a lot of excercise before finding the electric one in the back.

As my drinking arm gets a good workout on brewdays, I use the malt mill as a warm up.

-a.

I'm planning on building one once I get a design figured out in my head. I'll have Yuri machine me a couple of rollers, I have an old drill that I can re-purpose to turn the wheel, I just need to figure out the best way of designing (or buying) a hopper and putting it all together.

I am using a Crankandstein CGM-2D and am very happy with it:

1332-P1010109.JPG

motorized it with parts from Grainger for a little over $100.00 no more holding a drill when trying to crack 30lbs of grain.

Back