Do you filter your wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marius

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you found any improvement in filtering your wort when pouring it in the fermenter. I never filter it and I don't even worry about leaving all the sediment from the boil inside the pot. I always thought that all inside the pot should go inside the fermenter.

Prost!

No. I"m with you, it all goes right in, unless I've got a massive gob of whole hops I just don't want in there, then I employ a strainer.

I was wondering if any of you found any improvement in filtering your wort when pouring it in the fermenter. I never filter it and I don't even worry about leaving all the sediment from the boil inside the pot. I always thought that all inside the pot should go inside the fermenter.

Prost!

I just started my first brew the other day, and this was the first question I had when after I got everything in the fermenter. The directions that came with my kit said to siphon off the wort from the turb when I put it in the primary, other directions said to dump it all in.

The answers I got seem to amount to "It's a constant debate, and it really doesn't matter either way".

I'll probably just end up siphoning all the time so there's less of a chance of making a mess.

I use a strainer that fits perfectly inside my 8 inch funnel. Easy enough and makes for less trub to deal with when transfering to secondary/bottling bucket. I use a glass primary, but I know they make larger funnels that will sit on a bucket fermentor.

As far as what is "correct", I'm not sure that it matters at all either way.

I always have someone hold a pasta strainer that I pour my wort through. It helps me oxygenate and it gets a lot of the whole hops and some hot break out.

Being a newbie myself, and having the same question 4 days ago after I finished my first batch, I went in search of answers. A lot of this hobby is experimentation and preference, which is what appealed to me. However, I do like to know the reasoning behind things and when there is time to do one thing and a time to do another.

My best answer is to refer to you "Palmers Brew Bible" (http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-1.html). I read through this online version and he answered a lot of my questions. In general, it sounds like it doesn't really matter if you strain the wort before going into fermentation. However, there is the potential for off-flavors to occur if you leave the beer on the trub for long periods of time. Refer to the link, but basically as the yeast finish processing the main sugars (attenuation), and then go back for the byproducts (conditioning), eventually they may end up scavenging the trub which gives the undesirable off flavors. Again, its about the length of exposure and I think that may vary between beer style and what the brewer is looking for. It also depends on whether you plan on using a secondary as well.

Anyways, hope this helps. There are a couple other links below that were references Palmer used. For you reading pleasure. Enjoy!

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue1.4/barchet.html
http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/barchet.html

I used to use a large mesh strainer. now I use a hop bag and the break goes in the fermenter. Beer turns out great either way

I've done both: pouring all the goodness in the fermenter and siphoning. Now i siphon because i wouldn't dare to pour 5 gallons of wort from a keggle into a fermenter. I also whirlpool

I only filter the hops to keep them from clogging my chiller. When I just used an IC, I just dumped it all in. The only reason I think you HAVE to filter your wort is if there's a chance it is going to clog something up (chiller, siphon tube, etc.).

Being a newbie myself, and having the same question 4 days ago after I finished my first batch, I went in search of answers. A lot of this hobby is experimentation and preference, which is what appealed to me. However, I do like to know the reasoning behind things and when there is time to do one thing and a time to do another.

My best answer is to refer to you "Palmers Brew Bible" (http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-1.html). I read through this online version and he answered a lot of my questions. In general, it sounds like it doesn't really matter if you strain the wort before going into fermentation. However, there is the potential for off-flavors to occur if you leave the beer on the trub for long periods of time. Refer to the link, but basically as the yeast finish processing the main sugars (attenuation), and then go back for the byproducts (conditioning), eventually they may end up scavenging the trub which gives the undesirable off flavors. Again, its about the length of exposure and I think that may vary between beer style and what the brewer is looking for. It also depends on whether you plan on using a secondary as well.

Anyways, hope this helps. There are a couple other links below that were references Palmer used. For you reading pleasure. Enjoy!

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue1.4/barchet.html
http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/barchet.html

What the Hell!!! (I don't speak English so Idon't know if this is the right saying) Your first bacht and you're answer looks like Reevys' !!!:rockin:

Ok, It seems that there is no experimental answer for this so I would say that...
If you use a bag for your grains and your hops there is no need of filtering your wort.

But... if you use Irish Moss? should the Irish Moss and it's result be filtered?

I have a false bottom in my boil kettle that strains out the hops when I drain. Also, using a hop back helps to strain out any hop or grain residue that might be left over. The final result is a very clean wort going into the fermenter. It's very nice when doing a batch that has 8 or more ounces of hops in it.

Back