Flying blind on a Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f8_nz

Reaction score
G'day!

We are a bit limited here on our remote island when it comes to brewing ingredients, but I want to try a Hefeweizen and this is what I brought home from my LHBS today. Any comments re this recipe?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 1.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 15.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 11.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.20 lb Munton's Wheat DME (6.0 EBC) Dry Extract 31.25 %
2.20 lb Munton's Wheat DME (6.0 EBC) Dry Extract 31.25 %
0.88 lb Caramel Wheat Malt (90.6 EBC) Grain 12.50 %
0.88 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 12.50 %
0.88 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 12.50 %
0.53 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [7.10 %] (60 minHops 5.7 IBU
0.35 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [7.10 %] (15 minHops 1.9 IBU
0.35 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [7.10 %] (2 min)Hops 0.3 IBU
2 Pkgs Safbrew WB-06 (Fermentis #WB-06) Yeast-Wheat

My plan was to steep the grains for about half an hour and then carry on with the DME.

Thanks, guys!

To me, a hefe is all about the yeast... I tried the 06 once. It fermented warm, which led to some... lets call them unpleasant flavors. They have subsided in the 12 months or so since brewing, but I still have about 6l of this left. Not because its so good that I want to save it.

When I brew a HW I use 6 lbs of DME and only 3% (AAs) at 45 mins and a good German HW yeast. ;)

Your recipe has less malt than mine, but several times the hops. HWs are only hopped once - in the beginning.

See my recipe (<<<< on the left).

When I brew a HW I use 6 lbs of DME and only 3% (AAs) at 45 mins and a good German HW yeast. ;)

Your recipe has less malt than mine, but several times the hops. HWs are only hopped once - in the beginning.

See my recipe (<<<< on the left).

Thanks, mate! I read your advice while brewing and decided to go with half of the hops (but I could not resist to throw in some pellets @ 2 mins :) ) As per the malt - hmmmm, 2 kg of DME are a bit skimpy, I agree. I tried to adjust this recipe the best I could. However I hope that the grains add a bit of body to the brew. The .8lbs of Carawheat gave a very nice amber color, I am very curious as to the taste.

To me, a hefe is all about the yeast... I tried the 06 once. It fermented warm, which led to some... lets call them unpleasant flavors.
Good news :( That's what I meant when I was saying we don't have much choice. Here we have 06, 06 and if we are lucky we can get 06.

Have a look at realbeer.co.nz there you can order from the Wyeast range. They're done as indent orders so they take a while to arrive, and at the pricing you'll be wanting to wash and reuse or ranch your yeast. But it is an option for you, if you like.

I have used WB-06 with pretty good results for dark wheats, but I don't think I would use it for a Hefe.

If I am going to use dry yeast for a hefe, I use Danstar Munich.

Have a look at realbeer.co.nz there you can order from the Wyeast range. They're done as indent orders so they take a while to arrive, and at the pricing you'll be wanting to wash and reuse or ranch your yeast. But it is an option for you, if you like.

Thanks, mate! :mug:
I'll give it a shot and stock some strains (and learn how to wash yeast...).

My hefes have been made with cultured yeast from a bottle of Emerson's Weissbier and they've turned out great (have one in the SOBA hombrew comp at the moment :) )

To culture the yeast:
Boil some 1.040 wort made with extract and 2 or 3 hop pellets.
Drink about 350ml of the 500ml bottle.
Flame the lip of the bottle and carefully pour wort in to fill the bottle 80% full.
Flame the lip again and cover with some boiled aluminium foil.
Swirl bottle regularly for a few days, watch yeast grow.

For a 5 gal batch you might want to step your starter up into a sterilized 1L canning jar with more 1.040 wort in it. Though hefes aren't hurt by underpitching as badly as other beers, since it's during yeast growth when they produce all those yummy esters, so you might get by with just the 500ml starter.

As for the recipe, I'm not sure steeped Pils or Wheat malt will do much for you. They really need to be mashed.
And aroma hops in a hefe are unusual, but not necessarily BAD... I use NZ Hallertauer for my hefes (60 and 20 min additions) and they fit in nicely.

All that said, I reckon you should just brew away and see how it turns out :)

My hefes have been made with cultured yeast from a bottle of Emerson's Weissbier and they've turned out great (have one in the SOBA hombrew comp at the moment :) )

To culture the yeast:
Boil some 1.040 wort made with extract and 2 or 3 hop pellets.
Drink about 350ml of the 500ml bottle.
Flame the lip of the bottle and carefully pour wort in to fill the bottle 80% full.
Flame the lip again and cover with some boiled aluminium foil.
Swirl bottle regularly for a few days, watch yeast grow.

For a 5 gal batch you might want to step your starter up into a sterilized 1L canning jar with more 1.040 wort in it. Though hefes aren't hurt by underpitching as badly as other beers, since it's during yeast growth when they produce all those yummy esters, so you might get by with just the 500ml starter.

As for the recipe, I'm not sure steeped Pils or Wheat malt will do much for you. They really need to be mashed.
And aroma hops in a hefe are unusual, but not necessarily BAD... I use NZ Hallertauer for my hefes (60 and 20 min additions) and they fit in nicely.

All that said, I reckon you should just brew away and see how it turns out :)

Thanks, man! Your directions are coming spot on, I am about to crack open my last bottle of Schneider Weisse tonight - I will take good care of the yeasties :D

Judging from a sample after one week of fermenting (still bubbling away at 1.012): the beer does not come full bodied (did not expect this anyway), but I reckon it will be light and an easy drink.

However, I have some grain left, I will try to mini-mash it, use the cultivated Schneider yeast and go from there.

Sorry to go all off subject but I just have to say.

Some people want to run with the bulls, others to see amazon, & still others the great wall. Me... I want to trek the MacKinnon Pass in NZ. I know I'm going to Scotland one day, have a plan for it. Weather I ever get to walk the most beautiful path in the world, MacKinnon Pass, is up in the air... but one day I hope to!

Schlante,
Phillip

Back