First Brewed Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
After 3 weeks fermenting and 2 weeks bottled I decided to try my first beer. It was fully carbonated and had a very sweet smell. The taste was slightly bitter but with a hint of an apple flavor which I think means it's not quite ready so I'll give it another week before opening more.

After my first time racking and bottling I did taste my warm flat beer and looking at all the gunk that goes on I had serious doubts that it was going to be a viable batch or just plain too many sediments, of which I was completely wrong. It looks like any store bought wheat beer (it's an ale) with a little white much about 1/16" on the bottom of the bottle, very happy with the results.

While it's not exactly a beer I would run out and buy it is beer I brewed and I had a lot of fun making it and this site had a lot to do with my learning process by just reading all the many posts over the last month or so.

My next batch like my first is also a kit from the LHBS for an IPA that has no activity in the air-lock after 2 days but I will give it another week before checking the gravity, hopefully it is still making beer.

Just want to give an unspecified thanks to all that contribute. :mug:

Your first beer is like your first love, even if it's not great you will remember it fondly forever. Now, you do have more beer in the pipeline don't you?

Congratulations!

Now its time to start your second and third beers...

Brad

My first was awsome! Not that I havent had better beers but that one was MINE! I loved it so much i brewed it for the 3rd batch too :rockin: Congrats on the first!

SD

Welcome to your new addiction MikeG. Plan on spending way too much money on ingredients and equipment and spending way too much time on planning, brewing, sanitizing, bottling, drinking and what not. Oh yeah, and plan on loving every minute of it.

Yep, 2nd batch (IPA) is 9 days in. The air-lock had activity on first two days, lots of bubbles every 2 seconds then nothing. I'll open the lid and check for gravity later this week.

My first priority is getting the cleaning and sanitation of the bottles down, that part sucked. I'll be heading back to the LBHS to make another batch in the next week or two.

:mug:

Back