What are good hops to stock up on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
With the purchase of a new vacuum sealer, Im ready to make a bulk purchase of hops in 1 lb increments. Any suggestions? I brew mostly ales, (no IPAs), brown ale, blonde, cream, pale, amber. Some Cal Common and a few lagers.

If you could only use 4 hops for the rest of your life, what would they be??

:tank: Cheers!

Given what you brew....EKG and Cascade (or centennial) are lock ins. Hallertau will cover almost any lager style. I'd also suggest Willamette - great for a variety of beer styles and pairs deliciously with cascade.

I'm somewhat on the same vein. I'm bringing my hop choices down to EKG, Saaz and Cascade for flavour / aroma. They all make decent beers on their own but I particularly like EKG/Saaz and EKG/Cascade blends for anything paler than a porter.

I use a good, cheap bittering or dual purpose hop for the rest (fresh Challenger was particularly cheap this year, cheapest hop in fact, so went for it).

Back