Is My Keg Damaged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got my kegs today, and when I opened one of them I noticed that the out dip tube has a curved bend in it and when I looked at the other keg, it's out dip tube is straight. Is my one keg damaged? If so I need to contact the supplies right away. Thanks.

couple things.. first, the dip tubes are really thin gauge stainless - you could fix any bend in it by hand.

The other is that I have ball and pin locks, the pin locks have a straight diptube and you can see on the bottom of the keg that the channel where it sits is sort of against the side of the keg. The ball locks, on the other hand, have a curved diptube that ends up near the center of the bottom of the keg.

Bottom line, as long as the diptube sits okay on the keg post and reaches all the way to the bottom of the keg you should be fine.

No, most likely it is not damaged. I've got a couple ball-lock kegs with the bent dip tube (meant to rest in the center depression of the keg) and a few ball-locks with straight dip tubes (meant to rest in an off-center depression of the keg). It all depends on the type of keg you have, so make sure to keep them with the correct kegs.

Here's a picture of the keg, and both kegs are ball lock

keg.jpg

Latest posts

Back