Thinking of my Holiday brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chumprock

Reaction score
And I dont know what the heck to make. I know a Barleywine is a common choice for the holidays, but I'm not a big barleywine fan.

I really do like winter warmers, and maybe even a wee-heavy, but I'm just not finding any recipes that stick out...

Anyone have a solid seasonal holiday ale they have made a few times and would love to share?

Good question and a good time to start thinking about it. I've been leaning towards the Oatmeal Cookie Ale in Radical Brewing, but I haven't made it before so I can't recommend it.

Yep, it's that time and I'm completely lost on what to make..

I remember reading about the oatmeal cookie, but I don't remember it being that big?

My Ed Wort's Robust Porter PM equivalent will be my holiday beer. It may not come out spicey, fruity, whatever, but it's royally impressive.

I nice big Russian Imperial Stout is always a good choice for a winter beer.

I agree. I just did a version of Terrapin's Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout that will be my winter beer. I actually timed it so that I brewed on the Summer Solstice and will drink it on the Winter Solstice.

I am thinking of this as well. Doing a Very smokey Porter in July, but think something spiced would be nice for the holidays. High ABV and spiced. maybe a Beligian Dark.

Here's what I'm doing this weekend. This is not a proven Winter beer recipe, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

10 lbs 2-Row
5 lbs Light Munich
1 lb Crystal 60
8 oz Flaked Wheat
4 oz Chocolate malt

1 oz Simcoe 12.7 AA @ 60
1 oz Fuggle 4.8 AA @ 15
1 oz Fuggle 4.8 AA @ Flameout

Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong

I'm going for a 150 mash temp for 60 mins and about 70-75 degree fermentation temp.

It should be come in around 1.090 OG and 48 IBU.

I brew a light bodied ale spiced with Cinnamon, ginger and sweet orange peel. I make mine an amber color and give it a nice five minute addition of Saaz. I color it with a touch of chocolate malt. It's an all grain version (with some adjustments) of the holiday cheer recipe from the Comple Joy of Homebrewing.

This was a big hit last year and I'll prb brew it or a variation annually. Small batch, resize accordingly. (loosely based off Troegs Mad Elf)

Size: 3.75 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 296.42 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.088 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.022 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 22.25 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 8.77% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 14.8 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
8.75 lb Pilsen Malt
3 lb Munich 10L Malt
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt
1 lb Honey
1 oz Saaz (2.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.5 oz Saaz (2.1%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
0.25 tsp Ginger (fresh) - steeped after boil
1.0 ea White Labs WLP565 Belgian Saison I
1 lb Cherries (fresh) - added dry to secondary fermenter
Oak Wood Cubes - added dry to secondary fermenter

brewtOOL - How long are you oaking this? How much oak what kind?

I used heavy toast Hungarian cubes and took samples over the course of a couple weeks until I had the character I was shooting for (and those same cubes are sitting in my Brett old ale now, soaking up all them bugs)

Back