FG always slightly high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherZed

Reaction score
I've brewed about 8 batches over the last year. Only twice have I hit the stated FG on the recipes. I'm using mini-mash kits from Austin Home Brew. In the last batch I made, my FG coming out of 4 weeks in secondary (and 2 weeks in primary), was at 1.018. It's a Belgian Tripel and the FG is supposed to be 1.016. For this particular batch, I pitched a starter and had kept the entire fermentation in a controlled temp environment (about 68 degrees). This outcome seems to be typical - my FG is always between 2-4 points higher than it should be. Any suggestions or thoughts? Does it really matter?

(Oh, and this has happened with two separate hydrometers so I don't think it's a calibration issues.)

Thanks!

I've brewed about 8 batches over the last year. Only twice have I hit the stated FG on the recipes. I'm using mini-mash kits from Austin Home Brew. In the last batch I made, my FG coming out of 4 weeks in secondary (and 2 weeks in primary), was at 1.018. It's a Belgian Tripel and the FG is supposed to be 1.016. For this particular batch, I pitched a starter and had kept the entire fermentation in a controlled temp environment (about 68 degrees). This outcome seems to be typical - my FG is always between 2-4 points higher than it should be. Any suggestions or thoughts? Does it really matter?

(Oh, and this has happened with two separate hydrometers so I don't think it's a calibration issues.)

Thanks!

The glass Hydrometers with the shot in the bottom and the rolled up piece of paper aren't exactly quality scientific testing equipment. I would consider 1.018 when you were expecting 1.016 hitting your final gravity personally. Have you tried calibrating it with 60 degree distilled water? Most aren't going to read exactly 1.000

You could try knocking any air out of it. Might get you down a point or two. No effect on the beer but it might ease your mind.

Take you sample and pour it back and forth between 2 jars or glasses. Back and forth. Back and forth. This will remove the co2 and might get you down a point or 2 like I said.

Or just assume and enjoy.

Thanks for the replies. I figured it wasn't anything to worry about but it gets frustrating new making the number, especially this last time around after the wife allowed the purchase of a chest freezer just for fermentation purposes.

Thanks!

Sub 10% of your malt extract with sugar. That will get a down a point or two depending on the recipe.

Latest posts

Back