Visited Southern Tier Brewing Company recently

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
So I visited Southern Tier Brewing Company this past weekend and it was alot of fun. Lakewood, New York is actually really nice. The brewery was in a business park off a main road and the facility itself was mostly a big warehouse. They have their own bar their called The Empty Pint which is really cool. Looks very similar to a lodge.

My buddy and I got the "tour" which wasn't too in depth, yet it was probably the best brewery tour I've been on. For $8 bucks they gave you your own glass and passed a pitcher of 5 different beers around so you could pour at your own leisure. While we were drinking they explained the process of brewing and passed around some hops and grain for us to smell. Basically with all the beer they gave you (and the fact that you get to keep the glass) it was totally worth it.

The tour ended with us getting some fresh beer (their Pale Ale) out of the fermentation tank which was unfiltered and uncarbed, completely awesome. Another thing that was really cool is that they had a fermenter completely filled with Pumpking (one of my favorite beers). Also one of the fermenters had a huge blow off tube which was throwing water around like crazy.

I brought back 2 cases of Pumpking, 2 Oak Aged Unearthly IPA's, 2 glasses, and 1 Creme Brulee Stout. All in all a great day at one of the country's most underrated breweries. Anyone else ever been here?

j6DXE.jpg

uEK3Q.jpg

THb0U.jpg

i88lP.jpg

qxwhx.jpg

That is certainly on my "to do" list. It kills me that I worked 45 minutes away from there for 8 years but never stopped. There Pale Ale is my absolute favorite on the market, get any inside info? Wink, wink...

That is certainly on my "to do" list. It kills me that I worked 45 minutes away from there for 8 years but never stopped. There Pale Ale is my absolute favorite on the market, get any inside info? Wink, wink...

Nope, the stuff they told us is pretty much on their website. However, he did say that they use pretty much 1 yeast strain for all of their beers except for their saison and their wheat beers.

Also the cases I picked up of Pumpking were "low fills" which means they weren't filled all the way to the neck. However they were over 3/4 full at least and each one was only $3 bucks. Basically a full one with just a few more ounces would have been $6 bucks. So I got a great deal on that and I can re-use the bottles! Two cases of low fill Pumpking, 2 Oak Aged Unearthly's, 1 Creme Brulee, and one glass came out to $60 bucks, that's a steal!

Latest posts

Back