Water Level and Dip Tube Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer4412

Reaction score
So I’m getting close to being ready to brew with some keggles and have a question about water height and dip tubes that’s been bugging me. So I’ve got a false bottom and dip tube in my MLT. I need about 3 gallons of water to cover the top of the compression fitting that attaches my dip tube to the keggle. If I don’t have at least three gallons I can’t start the siphon process. What do I do if I for some reason I don’t have at least 3 gallons in my MLT? Maybe I had a stuck mash and got some of the liquid out, but am now below 3 gallons. Or maybe a recipe calls for a small volume of liquid for the sparging, like 2 gallons or something.

Can I restart the siphon with an auto siphon? How do you get around this problem?

open the valve and squirt water up into it with a turkey baster. or garden hose if you fill the diptube, it'll start to siphon.

Or tip the front of the keg foward until it starts coming out for a few seconds, then slowly set it back down. Should be light with only 3 gallons.
I personally just make sure I keep the level above the dip tube until final sparge. I much prefer having too much water at temp than not enough.

Back