I refrigerated immediately - Should I take it out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a rookie who just made my first beer along with a more experienced friend. 13 days ago we bottled it and I brought my half home. He failed to tell me that I was supposed to leave it at room temp for a while before chilling. Actually, I read something about it being ready faster if I kept it at room temp so I kept out three bottles, but all the rest went straight into a 45 degree frig. I've already drank two of the three that I left out and they're pretty darned good, but I'm afraid the others will take forever to be ready to drink. My friend says leave them be, but I want another opinion. So - should I take them out of the frig now or is it too late for this to do any good or speed the process? I'd like to be drinking this by Christmas if not sooner.

If you need more details about the type of beer or the way it was brewed just ask and I'll try to tell you as much as I can.

Thanks.

Take them out of the fridge. They need to be held at room temperature for 1-3 weeks to carbonate and condition properly. They'll be ready for Christmas.
Yep...maybe give em a shake to get the yeast back in suspension once they are warmed up.

yeah, the yeast just went dormant, you should be fine...def give it a shake like steve suggested

You're fine. Roll the bottles or shake them upside down gently to get the yeast back into solution and be patient. We often "cold crash" our beer, or take it down below 40 degrees in order to help clarify it. You haven't killed the yeasties at all.

You haven't killed it, but ale yeast goes dormant at those temperatures so it'll be napping instead of carbonating the beer.

BTW 45f sounds very high for a refrigerator. Aren't most US fridges at about 35f?

So... The time it's spent at 45 degrees hasn't hurt anything? It will just pick back up once it warms up?

No, you haven't hurt anything. You have to go a lot colder than 45 to kill the yeast. Bringing them back to room temp and shaking them up will be just fine.

Back