Playing with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keaston78

Reaction score
I've recently been able to enjoy my latest homebrew - a raspberry wheat that started as a True Brew American Wheat extract kit with an extra ounce of cascade added halfway through the boil and approx 2 pounds of pureed frozen raspberries added during secondary fermentation. It turned out great, very crisp with an assertive raspberry flavor and aroma that is balanced well by the extra hops. As pleased as I am with this, I can't help but think that some extra funk, a la Ommegeddon, would really set this beer off. I'm relatively new to homebrewing, this raspberry wheat is my 3rd solo batch, and I would like to know if there's anyone out there with some tips regarding playing with Brettanomyces and brewing funky styles, like my potential farmhouse raspberry wheat.

Cheers!

FWIW this is not a tip on brett and stuff. (But theres lots of info in the Wild brews forum)

so, being new to brewing, do you trust yourself to pick out off flavors versus funky yeast flavors yet?

Not trying to discourage you though, if you like sour brew sour by all means! Maybe joining a homebrew club would be useful for your situation, it could make sure that you're making the best beer possible, sour or not.

Also, welcome to the forum! Good people here who have a TON of experience!

I've too started down the trail of the brett recently. I found that there is a lot of good information here at Babblebelt. I'm finding it interesting on how to coax the brett flavors out, and how to work with these bugs. For me it seems to be a similar but different yeast to work with than traditional brewers yeast. Have fun experimenting.

Back