New, Need Help Identifying Beer Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjorntheBunnySlayer

Reaction score
I am trying to get into beer brewing and am starting off on one gallon batches. I visited my local brew shop and told them the characteristics I like in a beer, and what styles. For the life of me though, I cannot remember what style the recipe they provided is supposed to be. Expert opinions are welcome here.

Ingredients

* 2 lbs of Muntons Light DME
* 1/2 ounces of Briess Smoked Malt
* 1 1/2 Muntons Chocolate Malt
* 2 ounces of Briess Carapils Dextrine Malt
* 4 ounces of Briess Chrystal Malt 60L

Hops: 6 grams of Hallertau (German)
Yeast: Safale S-04 Fermentis (Dry Ale Yeast)

Directions

Steep grains for 20 minutes at 158-168 degrees. Remove grain, squeeze left over juices out and add dry malt extract. Bring to a boil. Add one third of the hops at 40 minutes. Add the second third fifteen minutes later. Add the final amount 5 minutes later. Take off of the stove, cool, and pitch yeast.

Any help identifying this and tips/tricks would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :mug:

plugged it into brewersfriend recipe calculator and got... nothing. Brewersfriend is a great free web tool for this sort of thing. If your ingredients will produce something that meets the typical profile of a certain style, it will let you know.

Looks like a very low IBU Wee Heavy, but not having made one I have no idea if chocolate malt is appropriate for Wee Heavy, and Smoked Malt isn't supposed to be used at all. Not really something you need to be concerned about though unless you are entering it in a contest.

Be sure to aerate the heck out of this thing.

For future reference: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf & http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/ are great resources.

Interesting. First thoughts are, there's a whole lot of crystal malt and just a little smoked malt in there. Also the directions for adding the hops are unclear...is it 1/3 with 40 min remaining in the boil, 1/3 at 25 minutes, and 1/3 at 20 min (this isn't necessarily wrong, it's just a different approach than most recipes)? Or should the last two additions be made with 15 minutes remaining and 5 minutes remaining (more typical).

What's the gravity supposed to be? 1.085 or thereabouts? This is either an Imperial Porter of some kind (somewhat low on the roasted malts) or it's an oddly hopped, too roasty Wee Heavy. The yeast selection makes me suspect the former. It may be someone threw a recipe together for you based on what you claimed to like, and not to a particular style. Hope it turns out well.

"Or should the last two additions be made with 15 minutes remaining and 5 minutes remaining (more typical)."

That's how the hops are being added. I think with everything I've looked into, it sounds closest to an Imperial Porter.

Unless I am mistaken, it looks like this is going to be above 1.090 with less than 11IBU.

I thought it might be a Porter or Stout, but no roasted or black malt. I don't think it will be dark enough, either.

Is this a 1 gallon batch? I am getting 1.101 OG at 1 gallon, with 10 IBU, or 1.050 OG with only 8 IBU. So it is like a huge but lightly hopped imperial brown ale, or a more "regular" brown ale with even lighter hops. The combination of German hops and English ale yeast is pretty mysterious too. Sounds like the brew shop guy just threw some stuff together.

Latest posts

Back