banjos on brutus 1 hour 36min boil what should i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thooper41

Reaction score
so i have my brutus to the point where i can test out the burners. i mounted all 3 spots with banjo burners 2 from a kab5 and 1 from a kab4 (didnt plan it that way it was just what i got) i mounted from the tip of the jets to the keggle mounting surface 2.25in. i am running a 5-35psi ajustable regulator and currently playing with an adjustable needle valve to adjust the propane flow. so after playing with the regulator valve and carb on the burner i can get a blue cone to sit about 3/4 of an inch out of the jets. so when bringing my keggle with about 12 gal in it from 60 deg F to 212 deg F I ran the carb wide open and the regulator/ needle valve combo with just enough gas to keep the flame from coming through the corners and up the side of the keggle.

now my question is should i raise the burner to get the blue cones up so they touch the keggle? drop it down and run the burner harder? or run the burner harder where it is and not care about the flame coming up the side of the keg.

any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for the help.

In my jewelry working days, I learned that the hottest part of a gas flame is just past the tip of the inner cone of the flame. If the inner cone is hitting the bottom of your kettle, you're wasting gas; likewise, if the tip of the cone is far away from the kettle.

That said, if your flame is really hot, you may not want the hottest part hitting the kettle bottom, but I think it makes more sense to reduce the flame and use the hottest part than waste gas.

A banjo burner provides enough diameter of flame coverage to where you shouldn't have to crank it. Don't worry about where your cone is, etc. You're not welding. Just give yourself about 4" from the top of the burner to the bottom of the keg. Likewise, keep the flames from licking up the sides of the keg. I bought some 12" reducers used for ducting. They make a great windshield for a banjo...just buy a set of tin snips and you can fit the neck of the burner in so it sits flush.

Reccommended distance from tips of Banjo nozzles to bottom surface of heating vessel is 4 to 5 Inches.

correct you are, I thought for sure the burner was going to need to come up higher it get the little cones closer to the keggle but i figured i would try raising the keggle up 2.5in on some bricks for a total of 4.75in from tip to surface using my still 156 deg F water from my test boil took 9 min to get to 166 deg F then 4 min to get to 176 deg F and another 4 min to get to 186 deg F. raising 12 gal of water 10 deg F in 4 min is not to shabby. I think I am going to lower the burners 2.25in for a 4.5in distance from tips to kettle gap. thank you for the post I was almost positive i needed to raise the burners more.

Latest posts

Back