Dry Hopping while Bulk Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freyguy

Reaction score
I searched around but couldn't really find anything. On my 90min IPA clone, it calls for dry-hopping. I don't have any kegs open, and prob won't for a bit, so I'm gonna let this one sit in the secondary for a bit at around 56*F in my basement until a keg frees up. My question is, do I dry hop as soon as I move to the secondary, then rack off of it after 2 weeks? Or do I put it in the secondary, and try to time the dry hop when I think it will be about 2 weeks until the keg is ready?

I use carboys, so pulling a hop bag out isn't too easy, but I don't mind moving it to a third carboy after the dry hop. I'm just thinking that I should try to hop it close to the kegging so it'll keep the most aroma???

freyguy said:
Or do I put it in the secondary, and try to time the dry hop when I think it will be about 2 weeks until the keg is ready?

Do that. Or, just toss them in there now and leave them in until you are ready to keg. There's no reason to rack off the hops. You'll be fine.

TL

I'd wait until the batch is in the keg and dry hop there. Bag them and leave them in the keg for a week. Some times, I'll dry hop a second time if a keg gets boring.

Works all three ways.

Back