If I use Gelatin to clear my fermented wort, will it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckarsanac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
... affect my bottle carbonation? I mean, it won't take all of the yeast out of suspension that I can't bottle carb my brew? I don't have a kegging system... yet.

Yes...it will effect carbonation. That's the point of gelatin...to settle the yeast.

In my opinion, cold crashing your beer for a few days before bottling will have the same effect. I try to avoid using additives in my beer.

If you still want to use the gelatin, then you can always sprinkle a little dry yeast into your priming solution. 1/3 of a pack should be plenty to carbonate your beer.

There will still be plenty of yeast for bottle carbonation. I've used gelatin and cold crash together and no problem bottle carbing.

Yes...it will effect carbonation. That's the point of gelatin...to settle the yeast.

In my opinion, cold crashing your beer for a few days before bottling will have the same effect. I try to avoid using additives in my beer.

If you still want to use the gelatin, then you can always sprinkle a little dry yeast into your priming solution. 1/3 of a pack should be plenty to carbonate your beer.

The only effect on carbonation will be a week delay at best. I have used gelatin and crash cooled will no ill effect on bottle conditioning. At worst the beer took a week extra to carbonate all the way. I have had kegged beer, that had gelatin in it, in the keezer for months. I then bottled some of the beer off the kegger and stored at room temperature. After a month there was a nice layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottles and the beer was 'extra' carbonated. Yeast cells are very resilient. The only practical way to get rid of all the yeast in your beer is to filter it. There will be plenty of yeast to carb your brew after gelatin. No worries.

+1 to it's fine. Gelatin doesn't drop out all of the yeast, just enough to clear the beer. There are still millions and millions of cells in there to carbonate your beer- you'll just reduce the amount of sediment in your bottles.

Back