Help with my water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmercede

Reaction score
Hello,

I been brewing mini-mashes for some time and think it is time to make the switch to all grain. I also would like to have some more control and understanding of water chemistry and how it can improve my beer. I have read several sections of books/articles about the science and have a basic understanding. However, I need some help reading my water report and, more importantly, some suggestions of additives, filters, or techniques.

Below is the link to my water report from Aqua PA for Bryn Mawr:
https://www.aquaamerica.com/pages/AdvancedWaterQualityReportSearch.aspx

Thanks,

Mike

Unfortunately, this report contains no information of any use to a brewer (except that chloramination is employed - defeat this with Campden tablets, 1 per 20 gal). Your choices at this point are call the water authority and tell them you want to know calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, chloride and sulfate concentrations and alkalinity. Reactions to this question can, apparently, be quite variable. The other option is to send a sample off to Ward Labs for testing.

Back