time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am giving way to many hints and that's JordanKnudson's job. It's just so excruciating! Even more so than when it's my own beer pic.

Dammit DarthCitra, you had better get this or I'm going to come find you!

If "perihelion" is a noun, and I told you that you could use the adjective form of that word (once you arrived at it) to get this on google...I would suggest doing that, and maybe adding the word "beer" to your google search, just for good measure.

Yeah, I'm placing bets on DarthCitra. He's dancing around it in a delightful fashion! You can almost see his perihelial moment before he starts getting further and further away. But I'm sure he'll orbit back around after reaching his aphelion. And when he reaches the perihelion again, he'll release the answer. A perihelial release, if you will.

Yeah, I'm placing bets on DarthCitra. He's dancing around it in a delightful fashion! You can almost see his perihelial moment before he starts getting further and further away. But I'm sure he'll orbit back around after reaching his aphelion. And when he reaches the perihelion again, he'll release the answer. A perihelial release, if you will.

A perihelial release indeed! And DarthCitra, you're still dancing...

hahaha!!!! if im wrong im leaving for the day, work is too stressful then your hints make my head hurt! i need a beer dammit! :confused:

hahaha i closed the 91.4 million tabs i had open and clocking out! hopefully someone guesses this! :mug:

(posting this anyway because it's so much fun)

OK, let me explain the hints. Because this is the most fun part of any mystery show! Aha!
aha.jpg

The first hint was about the distance from the Earth to the Sun. At 92.96 million miles, this is 1 AU. But the distance varies due to the slightly elliptical orbit of the Earth (and every other astronomical body).

If you've played a little KSP you know that there is a minimum and maximum distance in every orbit, called the perihelion and aphelion respectively. It just so happens that the perihelion of the earth around the sun is 91.4 million miles, which is your first clue.

Now, you might search for "perihelion beer" and get some red (no pun intended) herrings. But, the second hint is key. The brewery is both on and not on the West coast. I have actually used a variation of this hint before: this brewery is closer to JordanKnudson (Chicago area) than it is to me (Orange County, CA), but also closer to my hometown (Bay Area, CA) than it is to JordanKnudson. How is that possible? The brewery has two locations: one in the Bay Area (Petaluma) and one in the Chicago area.

Well, let's say you have the suspicion that it's Lagunitas, because that certainly fits the hint. How can you relate that back to Perihelion? Googling "lagunitas perihelion" does not return a lot of useful information. This is where the final hint comes into play. JordanKnudson revealed that the perihelion has nothing to do with the name of the beer! So what could it have to do with?

Googling "Perihelion" reveals that we recently experienced a perihelion this month. Perhaps this beer was released to celebrate the perihelion? What would you call such a beer? A perihelial beer? Sure enough, that reveals that Hairy Eyeball is such a release, which confirms Lagunitas as the brewery and seals the deal. Coincidentally, this same beer was up for guess exactly two weeks ago, where I guessed it based on the label's color scheme!

Sorry I stole from you choctaco! I'll let you have the next turn, I'm headed to work.

Sorry I stole from you choctaco! I'll let you have the next turn, I'm headed to work.

No, please go ahead. I was waiting for someone else to get it, and I really planned not to guess it myself. I just have a puzzle solving addiction problem and I couldn't help myself.

Haha yes! Choco had it forever ago, but I'm glad someone else got it too.

Lagunitas "The Hairy Eyeball"
-Lagunitas is originally a CA brewery, but they now also have a brewery here in Chicago (West Coast and not West Coast)
-The Hairy Eyeball is their "perihelial release," a winter seasonal for when the earth is at its perihelion, or closest distance to the sun, which happens to be 91.4 million miles.
-The words "Perihelial Release" and "91,400,000 miles" appear on the label.
-If you Google "Perihelial" (the ADJECTIVE form of Perihelion) plus "beer," as I suggested, your first result should be the BeerAdvocate page for The Hairy Eyeball.

Photo on 1-15-15 at 9.20 PM.jpg

Yeah, I guess if you have had that beer and carefully inspected the label then it would have been easy. But I guess nobody (besides JordanKnudson) has looked that closely.

Coincidentally, the guy next to me in the office was drinking this beer the other day while this round was happening. I was like "oh, hairy eyeball? Heh, that was in The Game a couple weeks ago. Enjoy!" I did not inspect the label closely enough to see the mileage bit.

:smack:

Yeah, I guess if you have had that beer and carefully inspected the label then it would have been easy. But I guess nobody (besides JordanKnudson) has looked that closely.

Coincidentally, the guy next to me in the office was drinking this beer the other day while this round was happening. I was like "oh, hairy eyeball? Heh, that was in The Game a couple weeks ago. Enjoy!" I did not inspect the label closely enough to see the mileage bit.

:smack:

Haha by the end of that round, you were giving out as many clues as I was!

OK! Here we go. I was doing a beer hiatus kind of thing, but my wife bought me this very special bomber and I wanted to drink it in its prime. Thanks to my wife for this very special beer which is one of my all-time favorites which I don't get to drink very often!

20150116_162955.jpg

Oh, and let's do brewery and specific beer. I will give a hint as soon as I can figure out what a great hint would be. Give me a couple minutes.

OK, let's do this: I will answer questions, and I'll start it off with a hint:

Lion
Bobcat
Chimp
Boa
Cougar
Coyote

What does it mean?

Wow. I'd guess Apex Predator as well, although clearly if that's it, drainbamage beat me to it. Although I'm not sure if it comes in bombers...

Back