Old Goat Face Weihnachtsbock (Weizenbock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemnitz

Reaction score
So, it's high time for me to start my Christmas brewing. I have a lovely yeast cake of WLP300 that will be ready to use once I bottle my Dunkelweizen, so I thought that I would make another German wheat - only a more warming version this time. I've boosted the strength to the lower end of the Bock range, since I'm worried that a stronger beer would take too long to age properly in time for Christmas break. I'm still trying to decide what special holiday flavors to add. I've thought about going for hints of gingerbread, dark chocolate-orange, or bananas foster. Please critique my recipe.

Old Goat Face Weihnachtsbock
5 gallons
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%

9 lb. wheat LME
0.5 lb. Caramunich
0.5 lb. chocolate wheat malt

1 oz. Perle (21 IBU) or 2 oz. Tettnang (24 IBU)

WLP300 (Bavarian Hefe) - dumping on previous yeast cake

Possible additions:
Orange peel
Spices (think gingerbread)
Prime with liqueur (orange or banana)

So, does the recipe sound like it would work for a Bock-strength Dunkelweizen? Any changes? Which flavors would best accentuate this style? How much of the spices/peels/liqueurs should I use? Thanks!

Well, I brewed this monster today (and bottled another, making today the longest brew-day of my short career). I made a few modifications: I increased the gravity slightly (measured at 1.071), switched from chocolate malt to Carafa I, and hopped it a little more. It is deep, deep brown, and it smells of spices and mint. I have high hopes for this one.

Old Goat Face Weihnachtsbock
5 gallons
OG 1.071

10 lb. wheat LME
1 lb. Caramunich
0.5 lb. Carafa I

2 oz. Tettnang (3.2%) at 90 minutes
1 oz. Tettnang (3.2%) at 30 minutes
24 IBUs

WLP300 (Bavarian Hefe) - dumping on previous yeast cake

I'm still considering whether I should prime it with liqueur (orange? banana? creme de cacao?) for an extra holiday twist. Any suggestions?

Back