Pointless to dry hop if aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I'm making an oaked american amber and plan on letting it sit in the bottle for a few months. Is it pointless to dry hop this beer? Won't any affects of dry hopping be gone after 6 months?

The hop properties will indeed mellow out overtime and not be super IPAish, but I don't think it would be totally pointless. You may want to add more hops than normal because they will mellow out. But be gone completely? I don't think so.

It is a good question and I have wondered the same. These days I don't dry hop anything that I intend to age for more than a month or so. I feel like late hop additions in the boil last a little longer than dry hop aroma but I don't really know, I am a sample of one which is not terribly definitive!

If you bulk age and remove the oak when the taste is where you want it, you can dry hop then and bottle. Get the oak and fresh hop taste.

Why not dry hop when you're 2-3 weeks from opening the bottle? Opening the bottle and dropping a few pellets in won't affect the carbonation as long as you reseal the bottle.

I would say bulk age with oak, and then a week or two before bottling add your dry hops.

Back