Cider in 6 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read a lot of EdWorts thread, although not completely. Who has the time to read 2100 posts? Anyway, I'm going on vacation the last week of April and I would like to take some apflewein/cider with me. I've read about using the Wyeast 3068 for a more fruity and less dry cider. This is really the way I would like to go. Does anyone have any suggestions on just how I can pull this off? It's about 6 weeks from today.

I've made one Apfelwein and two ciders, and none of them have been what I consider drinkable in 6 weeks. Although, I have not used the yeast you mention, either.

Fermentation will be done in 6 weeks, but in my (admitedly limited) experience, ciders take a few months or more to get good.

YMMV.

I have a batch of Apfelwein that I made on 11/16/2007 using Wyeast 3068, and I personally am not going to touch this stuff until it is at LEAST 6 months old. Make a batch now with the intention of taking some of it with you when you go on vacation during the last week of April 2009. Why does everybody want to drink their ciders before their ready? These things take time to condition properly.

- GL63

I used the wyeast last time I made cider and it was really slow. I prefer cote de blanc from red star. I think it leaves a better fruity finish and its much faster.

Stick with Ed's recipie and Ed's yeast and you will have something drinkable in 6 weeks. Of course time makes everything better, but I have to admit, most of my apfewien batches are on tap at about 6-8 weeks....

I disagree. The cider/apfelwein will be really sour after only 6 weeks, but it's a taste that grows on you. I actually prefer them before they're fully matured.

For my first cider, I fermented for 10 days, then bottle conditioned for 2 weeks, and was drinking it after that.

Tart. Like Granny Smith apple tart, and very, very cloudy. Unpleasant off-flavors. Aceldahyde? I actually drank through it within a couple weeks thinking that cider was SUPPOSED to taste like that.

With later batches, I waited longer and longer to drink, and eventually realized that the flavor really mellows out, and balances after a few months.

In 6 weeks it would be drinkable, but the strong taste will not be for everyone.

nick

well, I ended up going with Wyeast 1338 euro ale yeast. I'm just not convinced the 3068 won't impart that bannana/clove flavor. I'm sure I don't want that. However I want it to finish a little less dry so I went with an ale yeast. We will see.

I have drank my cider in the 6-8 week period - mostly when I have nothing left in stock :)
All but 1 batch tasted ok, I make mine in the 10 + range for ABV.
The batch that was not drinkable was one that I tried to back sweeten slightly - it finally came good around the 6 month mark.

Good luck

i like the whole brewing world also have a edwort style apple wine brewing , made a little stronger with 2 kg of demerera and champagne yeast .
had a taste yesterday has only been in fermentation for 10 days and still has a gravity 0f 1012 but tasted great medium dry and fresh (better than most commericial ciders ) obviously the taste will change with more fermentation but should only get better
on a side note did a grav test 2 days ago on a exract (youngs) white cider a small way to go , but tasted very sharp like vinegar . tasted again today as grav seemed better and all the sharpness has gone .just shows how rapidly the taste can change

Back