Kolsch Wort Temp & Tannins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottwvu

Reaction score
I had this temp somewhere between 180-205 F, I know this may be a bit much, but my concern is that it came out a light brown color when I transferred to the intial fermenting container and after one week of Fermenting at 70 F is still that color. Did this release tannins into the wort? If so, is the beer ruined? I plan on secondary fermenting at around 50-60F for two weeks, will this lighten the color? Or will it lighten when i add the sugar and let sit fermenting another week in the bottles? Any and all suggestions would greatly help! thanks!!

(I am assuming you mean you brewed the wort at 180-205 F and used malt extract)
First - don't worry so much about color unless you are entering it into a contest.
Did you use liquid extract and any grains?
Use pilsner dried malt extract for the lightest color and no grains except maybe for carapils.
Liquid malt extract gets darker as it ages and if it is all added at the start of the boil it will make the wort darker.
Don't worry about tannins unless you steeped grains for longer than 20 minutes or at a temp higher than 170 F. Even then it wouldn't ruin the beer unless you're a perfectionist. I don't think you can release enough tannins to darken the beer unless you steeped pounds of grains at too high a temp.

I don't know of anything to lighten the color now.

Back