Fermentation stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custompainted

Reaction score
I've started my first batch. I am exactly 6 days in today. I am fermenting 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. The seal is completely airtight with the exception of the airlock. The airlock has not been damaged at all, there is no possible way for CO2 to escape other than through the water in the airlock. Bubbling was very rapid the first 3 days but now has stopped completely. The foam that was resting on top once appearing about 2 1/2 inches in height is completely gone. Bottom line I'm worried my fermentation has stopped. I do not have a hydrometer and I will be straight forward with you, I don't have any money to buy one. I should probably also add that I used bread yeast, I know its not recommended but this first batch for me is really just an experiment to see if i can make alcohol before I decide to take this seriously. The temperature in the house is usually between 55 and 65 degrees. Is the temperature too cold? Is there any "home remedy" so to speak, that I can use to be sure fermentation is still occurring? Is 6 days OK for fermentation to have stopped?

I've started my first batch. I am exactly 6 days in today. I am fermenting 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. The seal is completely airtight with the exception of the airlock. The airlock has not been damaged at all, there is no possible way for CO2 to escape other than through the water in the airlock. Bubbling was very rapid the first 3 days but now has stopped completely. The foam that was resting on top once appearing about 2 1/2 inches in height is completely gone. Bottom line I'm worried my fermentation has stopped.
It can take a few weeks to complete and may not even be obvious that it is still going. Not to worry.
I do not have a hydrometer and I will be straight forward with you, I don't have any money to buy one.
You can do without one, but they can be handy.
I should probably also add that I used bread yeast, I know its not recommended but this first batch for me is really just an experiment to see if i can make alcohol before I decide to take this seriously.
If you haven't the money for a hydrometer why would you waste your money for ingredients that you'll probably have to dump since the yeast will likely make a crappy brew?
The temperature in the house is usually between 55 and 65 degrees. Is the temperature too cold?
For ale that is pretty good, actually.
Is there any "home remedy" so to speak, that I can use to be sure fermentation is still occurring? Is 6 days OK for fermentation to have stopped?
The remedy is the hydrometer. But, you should wait about 3-4 weeks.

Hope this helps.

/B

Ok. So It's looking like I should just trust the yeast to do what it does. As far as the ingredients I just came across a can of malt and figured what the hell, may as well give it a shot. I had yeast on hand and tossed it in there after cooking and cooling. Like I said this is really just an experiment. I wanna see if I can produce even a half decent beer that is drinkable enough to see if this is something I would like to pursue. Well I guess I'll let it sit for a couple weeks longer and let you guys know how it turned out. I suppose I will dish out 5 bucks for a hydrometer next time around if I do it again. Thanks for the replies.

Back