cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve25

Reaction score
can reusing yeast from previous batches of all grain beer make beer cloudy and how can i clear it once in seconday?

i'd say that it might, depending on the yeast you harvested. if you harvested from a secondary, for instance, you will be selecting for less flocculant yeast. same thing if you just happened to get predominantly less flocculant yeast from the primary, by chance, or due to your washing process. if the yeast has gone for multiple generations, there may also be some mutation drift causing it to become less flocculant.

just my 2 cents.

can reusing yeast from previous batches of all grain beer make beer cloudy and how can i clear it once in seconday?

If you have somehow selected a less flocculent strain, you might want to try cold crashing your beer in secondary to clear the reluctant yeasties.

If you have somehow selected a less flocculent strain, you might want to try cold crashing your beer in secondary to clear the reluctant yeasties.

thanks, iam going to brew a batch in the next two days with a new strain of yeast purchased at LHBS to see if it settles clear in secondary to determine if it was yeast.

Back