dry hop suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I have an IPA that's ready to be dry hopped, but not sure what I want to use.
I used an ounce of Chinook to bitter and an ounce of falconer's flight at 15 ,10 and 5 minutes.
I'm thinking of using citra to dry hop with.
Or should I stay with falconer's flight.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.

I more commonly see citra or and chinook dry hopped.Ive never used ff. But you would be good with the others.You could search ff as a dryhopp, or somebody with experience with it might let you know here. Your mostly getting your flavor with ff doing your late additions, i never get much aroma unless i add add at flameout or last few minutes assuming you get it cooled fairly shortly.The lag time before it cools seems to just flavor instead of aroma those late additions.Takes 10-15 min to get under 150, i still consider that steeping.Any aroma i want i will do at 0 or dryhopp.

One tried and true strain for dry hopping is Cascade. I like the citrus notes! Chinook is another great aroma hop. It is kind of a waste of a high alpha hop, but OT may be well worth it!

That's what I did with my IPA that just got bottled a couple days ago. 64 bottles...yuuuum,yum! I used the remaining .5oz of the 3 hops I used in the boil to dry hop with. Do it,you'll love the aromas! Imo,it'll smell as good as it'll taste.

I would go with an ounce of Citra and an ounce (or two) of Cascade. Chinook has this funky kind of spicy thing going that I don't really care for in late additions / dry hop.

I just bottled my IPA, the smell and taste was just what I wanted. I put an ounce of Cascade in the primary after the 2nd day and on the 5th day I racked it to secondary and put an ounce of Citra. I'm just waiting on carbing now to get the overall effect. I like hoppy beers, so maybe next time I'll add another ounce of Cascade like Robtotten suggested.

As I was transferring this I took my hydro sample and smelled and tasted it and decided to go 3/4oz each of cascade and citra...I think these will compliment the falconer's flight well.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions

I hope you too get what you're after bill. I hope our suggestions steered you toward your goooooaaaaal! (remember the Mexican socker announcer)? lolz

It seems like everytime you ask for hop suggestions you are going to get different answers from everyone. I have been just doing single hop beers. What you learn from over the course of making it and drinking it is invaluable. I did an all citra hot dang that was good.

I always have an idea what hops I'm wanting to use and then I ask the knowledgeable people on this forum what they would do and then I take all of their suggestions and see if there is a common denominator and go with that.
thanks again to all that replied

Back