Valve order question (ASCO, BASO, BALL)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipepper

Reaction score
104-snc00175.jpg

Can anyone see anything wrong with the order of valves on the left? I have finally sourced my valves and parts off of ebay and can now start assembly of my Brutus. The ASCO valve is 1/2 inch NPT, while my BASO is 3/8 inch NPT. It would maybe work out better to run 3/8 inch line to these and size up to 1/2 after the BASO rather than run 1/2 inch and size down for the BASO and then back up again for the ASCO. Any thoughts? I'll initially be running low pressure propane (.5psi) with this setup.

Good point on the pilot gas flow. That has some good logic to it and that is what I'll do even if I end up not finding 3/8 inch gas pipe to plumb in my gas lines with. Pilots and thermocouple should be here next week and then the fun begins. Thanks for the advice.

Try and position the heat sensitive valves to the side of the burners to reduce the radiant heating from the burner flame. Also cutting a vent opening in the keg skirt will make a big difference in how the burners work by letting trapped combustion gasses out so they do not choke the burners. Cut a 1"-1-1/4" high by 6"-8" opening on back side of the keg skirt and the hot gasses will flow out the opening, not under the frame and burn the paint. Adding a 2" wide flat piece of metal above the opening will push the hot gasses away from the keg sides so the insulation and covering if used will survive above the opening.

Back