Lactose Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did Niquejim's recipe last weekend, and I added the lactose for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Results to follow. In October. LOL

due to the fact that I'm lactose intolerant.... I could never really understand why people would want to ruin a perfectly good beverage, such as beer, with lactose hahaha

btw good luck!I hope it turns out alright for you :D

Be careful when you serve friends and ask if they are lactose intolerant. That can be a very bad thing and a party downer.

Very good point. My wife and I are going to give this out to people for our anniversary on 10/31. I used a pound of lactose in almost a 6 gallon batch. Is this going to have much of an effect on those who are lactose intolerant. I'll be on the safe side and inform everyone, but would the fermentation process change the makeup of the lactose at all? Would the fact that it is dilluted amongst 6 gallons have an effect?

Every sweet (lactose) stout I've ever done, I added the lactose the end when kegging/bottling. Just boil it in enough water to dissolve and sanitize it and either pour it in the keg, or mix it with your priming sugar.

I actually just won another Gold medal (2nd for this brew) last weekend in the Alamo City Cerveza Fest with my chocolate stout that has a pound of lactose added at the end. Don't see that it would matter too much either way, but I know my way works well, so that's how I will continue to do it.

Very good point. My wife and I are going to give this out to people for our anniversary on 10/31. I used a pound of lactose in almost a 6 gallon batch. Is this going to have much of an effect on those who are lactose intolerant. I'll be on the safe side and inform everyone, but would the fermentation process change the makeup of the lactose at all? Would the fact that it is dilluted amongst 6 gallons have an effect?

My cousin is lactose intolerant, he can't have any of my chocolate stout. The lactose is 100% unfermentable, so it will all be there in the final product, and yes, it will definitely have an effect on lactose intolerant people, trust me.

Be careful when you serve friends and ask if they are lactose intolerant. That can be a very bad thing and a party downer.

Yeah no kidding, normally I don't have to worry too much about beer having dairy in it... I'd be in for a night of hell if I had some of that.

Every sweet (lactose) stout I've ever done, I added the lactose the end when kegging/bottling. Just boil it in enough water to dissolve and sanitize it and either pour it in the keg, or mix it with your priming sugar.

I have a milk stout in the pipeline right now and I'm planning on adding the lactose in the same manner, right before kegging....course I didn't have the lactose on hand when I brewed but it's no big deal either way.

I brew a milk stout every year around this time, and always add the lactose ~15 minutes before the end of the boil. Just had Left Hand's milk stout last night to get myself psyched for brewing my own next weekend - it is a wonderful, wonderful beer...

Thankfully my lactose intolerance isn't bad enough for me to worry about a milk stout. But it is bad enough that I can't indulge my custard fetish very often.

You can add lactose pretty much any time you want in the process, if you know how much you want. If you don't know how much you want, wait until bottling and sample until you have the amount of sweetness you want.

I'm aiming to do an oatmeal stout in the near future. Just wonderded though if you'll be tapping with nitorgen or CO2?
No2 bottles are almost impossible to get here and i can't find anyone willing to send them overseas either.

If i can use plain old co2 and get a nice thick creamy head i might add some lactose when i brew a short 10 liter batch next time up.

any help greatly apreciated.

thanks'

After the first fermentation, I found a bunch of sludge in the bottom. I have never seen so much in one of my beers and it did not look like yeast. Could this be because I used all ground hopps? Or is this lactose that settled out?

Back