Wormy looking thing in my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
I just tried my new batch, a light ale, and was rather impressed with how it was tasting/progressing. Although still a little early in it's conditiong phase...6 days in the bottle... I noticed about halfway thru a little white and brown worm-like thing in there. I almost did the technicolor yawn, but held it back. I opened another right away and did not see anything like that so I hesitantly dove into another, expecting nastiness, but it too tasted great. Is it possible that one of the bottles got the "ick" and that was just isolated? Or do I start popping them open to see if there is more more of those? Does this sound like something familiar to anybody else?..HELP, this is my best batch so far, minus the "visitor".

Thanks for replies:confused:

Are we talking about a genuine worm-like thing? Or some funky mold thing?

I had an issue recently pertaining to a bottle that apparently was poorly sanitized/rinsed. I got a little infection in a bottle and it had gotten over-carbed prematurely. For what it's worth, I don't think that's a terribly unusual occurance. Clean your bottles better next time and fret not. :mug:

(But open the rest of the bottles with a rag around your hand.. just in case. glass shard hurt!)

It looked alot like a real worm at first but upom close up inspection, I could see that it was not alive or anything so I guessed that maybe a mold and gelatin kind of coagulation that rolled around with conditioning process might have been to blame..????????? It did look like a worm or even more precise, like an eel. Even on the second look, I thought"Is that thing alive?" and then I fished it out and it seemed to be just some slime/algae sort loogie thing...EEEEEEWWW!
ANYWAY, if this isn't a classic infection sign then I will open all the bottles eventually and just check first. The taste and body and all is great...my best yet, and if I had not ran into that I might've bragged a little.
Thanks Toot!

I had a slug grow in one of my bottles once too...nasty little bugger. :eek: I've since taken much more care in cleaning my bottles.

did you use irish moss in your recipe? when it is re-hydrated it is very gelatinous and nasty looking. Just a thought.

It's probably a bit of mold from whatever beer was in it before. If mold forms, then dries, it's hard to get out.

I rinse mine bottles out twice and put them back into the 6 pack box upside down now to prevent this problem.

Pitch the bottle, look closely at the bottoms of your others, and enjoy the rest.

kvh

I have tried a couple more bottles at random and have not seen anymore of that. The beer is great and I'll just keep on the lookout. I might have been a little panic stricken at the get go, but I think it'll be okay. I did not use Irish moss 'cause I forgot to add it at brewing time, so I added gelatin to the secondary. Maybe the gelatin caught a little moldy chunk or something???
Anyway, thanks again all.

EAT THE WORM!

EAT THE WORM!

EAT THE WORM!

EAT THE WORM!

EAT THE WORM!

oh.. wait.. sorry wrong beverage...

Back