Decoction---adding back to main mash ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Continuing this discussion on decotion, if one was to do one ,what is the normal method of adding back grist to the main mash after boil ? Say using 15.5 gal kegs as vessels. Just take 1/3 mash and dump back into the main mash or will this create Hot side areation? Any good ideas out there ?

I just did my first single decoction on saturday. I "carefully" just "dumped" it back into the mash. Seemed fine, but wont really know for awhile. The decoction was really easy, my pH and target temps were dead on. The color of the decoction was fantastic.

How was your efficiency? how much longer do you think it took compared to single infusion ?

gabe said:
How was your efficiency? how much longer do you think it took compared to single infusion ?

Efficiency was great....not the most carefull of measurments but i got above 75% using a cooler with SS mesh.

I thought that it would take a little bit longer, but it didnt. Start to finish was right under 5 hours. It was real easy. i mashed in to 145 and rested for 20 mins, then took about one third of mash out and heated it to 160 for 20 mins and then boiled for 15 mins(would have liked to boiled for longer, but it was getting late). Then i added the boiling grains carefully back into the mash to bring the entire mash to 160, and rested for about 30 mins when iodine test showed conversion.

I did the equations that are floating around out there for what fraction of the mash to decoct. It worked prefectly... im very happy with this weekends brew session

Thanks B4B, I will go back and see the site. I probably read already I was just trying to re fresh my mem.

Latest posts

Back