Long term aging....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nowuries

Reaction score
Ok, so I only have one small fermentation chamber that is temp controlled and I am wanting to do some big beers that will require long term aging. I would love to keep in secondary up to a year for some good barleywines etc.
Question is this : Since I will be using the temp controlled fermentation chamber for regular brews, how bad would it be to let the aging beer withstand a year of ambient temps within my house?
Background : I live in Oklahoma and heat and cool as needed... sometimes it gets down to low 60's in winter and high 70's in summer.
Am I correct in thinking that aging beer needs to be in lagering temps?

I like aging in the mid-50s. But it's not an exact science. Upper 70's is a bit high, but what can you do?

You could just bottle it and age it in the bottles. Then you can easily taste it as you go. You might even be able to experiment with different aging temperatures this way, too.

I like aging in the mid-50s. But it's not an exact science. Upper 70's is a bit high, but what can you do?

You could just bottle it and age it in the bottles. Then you can easily taste it as you go. You might even be able to experiment with different aging temperatures this way, too.

Any disadvantage to aging in bottles? I like that Idea, I may be able to work a case in to the fridge ... definitely not a carboy though! Would a fridge be too cold though after it has been carbonated?

I think there's a debate about bulk aging vs. aging in the bottles, but I doubt there's any conclusion. To me, it's whatever works.

The fridge temps would slow the process, but that might not be a bad thing in some cases.

I do like the Mystic Pizza. I haven't been there in a few months though. Winter is not the most downtown-friendly season, though they do deliver. mmm...pizza. Believe it or not, I have never seen the whole movie.

Latest posts

Back