Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey John, We missed you and Melana..

Thanks, we almost miss being there. 75 degrees down here in Orlando today and just about all the free Bud american ale I could drink @ Seaworld. I was hoping they'd have the Mic porter but oh well. We hope to see all of you guys @ another gathering real soon. I hope you're brewing went well.

:mug:

Thanks, we almost miss being there. 75 degrees down here in Orlando today and just about all the free Bud american ale I could drink @ Seaworld. I was hoping they'd have the Mic porter but oh well. We hope to see all of you guys @ another gathering real soon. I hope you're brewing went well.

Have a safe trip back man....

Hoping to get a gravity reading soon. I don't think my hydrometer was working right.... PTN HURRY UP!!!!!!

Oh man, I just got home. I brewed BierMunchers Helles Belles today and I'm friggin beat..I had a blast, lots of good food and drink. I wanna thank Paul and Chris for hosting this shindig.. Beautiful house man...It was nice to see Sumo again and to meet Drinkswellwithothers,Capebrewing and AnthonyLopez...

Hey Capebrewing, Those ribs were Fukcing fantastic...

Cheers

ahhthankyou... I think Tony deserves some credit for the top-notch BBQ sauce on those bad boys.

Yeah, great time today. Paul, thanks for the invite and Chris, thanks for hosting. I just wish I hadn't done the stupid "Yeah, hon', I'm only going to go over for a couple of hours". Hey, I never claimed to be bright.

On the bright side, now I have a funny "stone cold BUSTED by the wife" story.

It was great to put faces with log-ins and have a few beers.

It was a great day wasn't it? Food was awesome, beer was awesome, brewing was fun. Company was questionable but thats ok.... :) JK I had a blast even though I had 2 beers all day until it was just me and PTN!!! Really great day with a bunch of great guys. We should do this type of brew every few years and hell I'll host something like this every year, just not involving so much grain in a single brew probably.. :)

ahhthankyou... I think Tony deserves some credit for the top-notch BBQ sauce on those bad boys.

Yeah, great time today. Paul, thanks for the invite and Chris, thanks for hosting. I just wish I hadn't done the stupid "Yeah, hon', I'm only going to go over for a couple of hours". Hey, I never claimed to be bright.

On the bright side, now I have a funny "stone cold BUSTED by the wife" story.

It was great to put faces with log-ins and have a few beers.

That's right...Hey Tony, We need to start marketing that sauce..

You're not missing anything with the Mic Porter, John. I brought some by The Witches Brew a few month ago - all thought it was a bit thin in body for a Porter.

It was a great day wasn't it? Food was awesome, beer was awesome, brewing was fun. Company was questionable but thats ok.... :) JK I had a blast even though I had 2 beers all day until it was just me and PTN!!! Really great day with a bunch of great guys. We should do this type of brew every few years and hell I'll host something like this every year, just not involving so much grain in a single brew probably.. :)

yeager1977 My Account | My Profile | Browse Members | Invite | Upgrade

Junior Member CONTACT yeager1977

VIEW MY: PROFILE | PHOTOS | VIDEOS | FRIENDS | BLOG PM Block Add Buddy

31 years old
Female

Strange, yeager1977's Profile states they are a 31 year old female; I only saw 2 females at the brewing today, one was spayed with 4 legs and the other was a nice looking pregnant lady.

yeager1977 My Account | My Profile | Browse Members | Invite | Upgrade

Junior Member CONTACT yeager1977

VIEW MY: PROFILE | PHOTOS | VIDEOS | FRIENDS | BLOG PM Block Add Buddy

31 years old
Female

Strange, yeager1977's Profile states they are a 31 year old female.

I was wondering that myself...:D

Ok so I fixed that part.... But what about makayla??? that would make 3.... :) thanks for the heads up.... Damn drunk forum registrations....

By the way PTN, just re-heated the last of those ribs. mmmmmmm good. :) Blood pressure and cholesterol are going very high this weekend.... Thank God for meds...

Well everyone, it was a great day today. It was nice to meet some more of you guys from the forum. Thanks to Paul and Chris for hosting such a beast of a brew day. The ribs were great, the BBQ sauce was amazing and it was a riot watching Cape Brewing get busted by his wife. :D

Just woke up, wide damned awake at 5:30 in the morning. Thanks to everyone who came and made it a great day. Noting more funt than a bunch of friends, old and new, getting together and having fun brewing.

Some highlights from the day:

CapeBrewing texting MrsCapeBrewing, "Ya Honey, I left there 15 minutes ago, I'm almost at the store, I'll be home after I'm done shopping," then putting the phone in his pocket where it autodialed MrsCapeBrewing back up and she got to listen to us cutting ugly for another 15 minutes before she called him back and told him how well and truely he was busted. That was priceless!

Albert (Sumo) and Tony Lopez's traveling hardware store. You gotta be kidding me. Between those two you could open up a Home Depot. It's an incredible pain in the ass to throw your rig into the car and head out to brew. You always forget something and realize it when you get there. Things like wrenches and screwdivers and extra hoseclamps. And CHris is a new homeowner, he has squat for tools. Al and Tony saved the day. So did CapeBrewing with his O2 tank. But I gotta wonder, why in the world does someone ride around with a March pump in their trunk?

The food was great. I have to admit CapeBrewing's ribs were better than my riblets. (Of course, my attention was elsewhere, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

The weather held off and even warmed up a bit during the day, with all those burners going it was almost warm in the garage.

The Utopia itself was very nice. Very strongly alcoholic on the front end, strong notes of maple and sherry, not a lot of smokyness but it was there, sweet but not cloying, caramel, toffee, slight oakyness in the background, a whisky presence, and a very smooth maltyness. No real hop signature, at least for me. Very, very nice. It struck me that it is like a 40 year old Tawny Port, only beer.

Watching Chris run around all day was greatly amusing to those of us who know and love him. That boy gotta switch to decaf.

In the end we didn't boil down far enough. We were out of gas, litereally and figuratively. We ended up stopping with about 13 gallons to go into the fermentor. It takes a damned long time to boil off 10 gallons of beer, I'll tell you that. (I think we probably had a little more than 20 gallons to start with, probably 22) Anywys because we weren't able to boil off those last three gallons we didn't quite hit what we were looking for, we got an OG of 1.160. (And that sample was still very warm in the hydrometer flask. We might pick up 10 more points or so when it's the right temp.) I brought my hydrometer over there but couldn't find it at the end of the day so we couldn't get a coroberating OG with a second hydrometer. I brought a sample home with me so I'll check it today if I can find another hydrometer around here.) Still 1.160 is going to be an impressive beer. Rich mahogony color, and a very nice malt flavor. No scorching, thank goodness. We'll see how it goes.

Ya Cape got busted hard lol. Here's a tip from a guy who been with the same gal over 20 years. Yesterday I paid for her and her 2 best friends to go get mani's and pedi's and full facial treatments and scheduled it for the time I was gone brewing. I also threw in three 22oz bottles of Ed worts famous apfelwine for them to drink and dicuss what a bunch of useless lazy bastards us men are while it was being done.

That free'd me up for 7 hours yesterday and she was all smiles when I got home and asked me if i had fun brewing with the boys ;)

Ya Cape got busted hard lol. Here's a tip from a guy who been with the same gal over 20 years. Yesterday I paid for her and her 2 best friends to go get mani's and pedi's and full facial treatments and scheduled it for the time I was gone brewing. I also threw in three 22oz bottles of Ed worts famous apfelwine for them to drink and dicuss what a bunch of useless lazy bastards us men are while it was being done.

That free'd me up for 7 hours yesterday and she was all smiles when I got home and asked me if i had fun brewing with the boys ;)

Truely BRILLIANT!

Thing took off like a rocket!!!!!!!!!! So this is good. Will add the maple srup probably tuesday or wednesday with more O2 and maybe a bit of dry extract if PTN doesn't kill me

Nah... too expensive. That would cut into grain purchases. I just let her fume for a while and then once we put the boys to bed I put on a little Barry White.

Put it this way... she's no longer mad at me.

Awwwwwww yeah... bwawwww chicka bwawwww bwawwwww

:ban:

Nah... too expensive. That would cut into grain purchases. I just let her fume for a while and then once we put the boys to bed I put on a little Barry White.

You some kinda smooth, Brotha, some kinda smooth. We gonna start calling you Velvet with smooth moves like that.

''Some kinda wonderful,
That's what you are!"

PTN

... and I gotta grab my O2 stone and regulator at some point

Chris is going to blast it again the beginning of the week when he adds the maple syrup. Can you make it to TWB on Thurs or Friday? We can leave it with Steve. If not, I'll get it from him and drop it off if PM me your address.

PTN

Gotta love a little bit of brown chicken brown cow

Enjoy the make up sex while it lasts. Give it another kid and 5 more years and you will be fighting just so you can sleep alone. :drunk:

Hey I wanted to give shout outs to everyone who came and made Saturday such a fun day. I wanted to get individual pics of everyone but just didn't get around to it.

So here's who was there as best I can recall.

Paulthenurse
Chris (yeager 1977)
Tony Lopez
Albert (Sumo)
Jay Wilson (From The Witches Brew)
NedL (TWB) provided us with 1 1/2 lbs of his own homemade maple syrup
Brian (Bulls Beers)
Brian #2 friend of #1
Brian #3 (Cape Brewing)
Bill (Pres of South Shore Brew Club)
SmurfJuice (TWB)
Scott, (friend of Chris)