Looking for cheap, repeatable, mild flavored recipe, with decent turnaround

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
I have decided that I want to find a recipe that meets the preceding attributes. The reasons I want this are as follows

Core beer for bmc crowd(I have 3 other taps for more interesting beers)
Cheap batch
Mild flavor to highlight my brew flaws
Not looking for a fast turnaround as I know good beer takes time but don't want a slow turn around either

Basically looking for a cheap repeatable way to quench the thirst of the masses and make the batch frequently to become a better brewer by honing the mistakes out of my process

Anyone done this or have a recipe that meets my needs?

biermuncher has a very tasty, cheap, easy, and i'm having a mug right now, recipe. cream of 3 crops is 1 of the best recipes i've ever made. i keep it on my list

To me cheap batch = low hops. grain is pretty cheap no matter what you use. and yeast can be cultured. so you have a lot of choices, especially if you keep in the low OG and low hops. If you are looking at your temperature management of yeast then you can pick the ones that need a cleaner taste (APA, UK Ale), otherwise use the yeast with fruity character (Belgian).

A nice easy drink, Irish Red Ale. Fast turn around (although I let it sit longer), good year round.

I've looked into both cream of 3 crops and BM's cent blonde(my next brew and likely a strong candidate). Red ale could be a good choice but color scares the bmc crowd.

50% pilsner, 50% pale, light on the hops (small magnum addition @ 60 min and mild saaz addition @ 5-10 min mark works well), and use a good clean ale yeast, fermented on the cold side.

I think the addition of pils malt gives it just that added bit of depth that I've never gotten with pure pale malt. And putting pils/saaz together is pretty well a tried-and-true combination for decades, if not centuries!

Kolsch is always a big hit with BMC crowd. I have gone through entire kegs in a couple hours with gatherings of people who swear the can "only drink busch light." Great beer to have on hand as well for "real" beer lovers.

Also, the one I have been brewing quite a bit recently that is absolutely great - check out "The Innkeeper" on Northern Brewers website. Under "additional information" they have the recipe. This is a great session beer. Think I have brewed it 4 times so far this year. I will always have it on hand as my "house beer." I have brewed it as is, with a 75% mix of 2 row and golden promise, and last week with all 2 row base. Every time it has been great and BMC's love it. I would pick out 3 or 4 lighter beers and brew them up to see what YOU like the best too - then go with something that pleases you and your friends.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-innkeeper-limited-edition-all-grain-kit.html

The two beers I've made that have really gone over well with my BMC drinking friends were BM's Centennial Blonde and Midwest's Autumn Amber (to which I added 1 lb of local honey at flameout). Both beers I'll be making again (gonna look up the AG version of the Amber, since I got the extract kit through the Groupon deal).

I dig an english ordinary bitter- mine uses special roast but you can stick to MO and english crystal if you want to back down the flavor a notch to highlight any mistakes. A good low-attenuating british yeast is important.

BierMuncher's Orange Kolsch is fantastic. Even my non-beersnob friends will drink it like crazy.
They get pissed if I happen to run out :)

Back