DIY Sparge Arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I'd like to build a sparge arm myself, however i'd really like it to spin during the sparge like many of the retail examples available. Any suggestions on sourcing the parts? I searched, but came up without any good info...

Thanks!

You want a rotating sparge arm I am guessing... but why? I would go one of two ways,

1) The John Beere route (search for that)
or
2) the Brew Magic style of just a silicon tube sitting on top of the mash

If you are set on the rotating whirligig, I can't help. I question that design though, seems overly complicated and those holes seem small and difficult to clean.... IMHO

You want a rotating sparge arm I am guessing... but why? I would go one of two ways,

1) The John Beere route (search for that)
or
2) the Brew Magic style of just a silicon tube sitting on top of the mash

If you are set on the rotating whirligig, I can't help. I question that design though, seems overly complicated and those holes seem small and difficult to clean.... IMHO

I hate to thread jack here (sorry noclue!) but could you explain both of these to me? I need a sparge arm, and I'm way too slow and girl-ish to figure this out. (Do you buy that? I mean, it sounded good to me.)

Anyway, the silicon tube on top of the mash? With holes in it? Or just to keep the liquid level an inch or two above the mash?

as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to have my thread jacked on this subject... I don't fly sparge, but with the new Mini Brew MLT, I can use my old MLT as an HLT...

as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to have my thread jacked on this subject... I don't fly sparge, but with the new Mini Brew MLT, I can use my old MLT as an HLT...

I just bought a 5 gallon MLT (Igloo cooler) with the bulk head fitting intact. My plan is for an HLT. But...........I have never fly sparged, and I have very little mechanical ability. Oh I have a drill, and a few other assorted tools. But nothing fancy, and very little ability. So, I was hoping for a "sparge arm for dummies" thread to spring out of this one.

I was thinking of a cpvc set up, but couldn't figure out how to get it to rotate.

Here is John Beere's thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/deep-six-brewing-system-v2-0-a-79435/

Response #21 in my build thread shows the parts for this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brouwerij-der-boerderij-kabouter-72118/#post986123

The Brew Magic system just uses a length of silicon tubing laid on top of the mash. As wort or liquor is circulated through the tube it gently swirls around the surface of the mash, evenly distributing across the entire surface area.

I hope that helps :shrug:

Back