fermenting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGoodwin

Reaction score
I have a fermenting bucket I used it to make beer with, can I use it to make wine with or do I need one with an air lock fitted?

You didn't use an airlock when you were making beer?

What kind of beer? What kind of wine? Does the bucket have a hoppy aroma?

As long as the beer didn't leave anything behind (residual hoppy aroma/flavors) then you should be fine. For the wine you will need either a lid with airlock or cloth tied down to the top of the bucket, depending on the recipe/instructions.

Hopefully the wine isn't too bold or leave any residual flavors behind, so you can use the bucket for beer again.

Felixio said:
You didn't use an airlock when you were making beer?

What kind of beer? What kind of wine? Does the bucket have a hoppy aroma?

As long as the beer didn't leave anything behind (residual hoppy aroma/flavors) then you should be fine. For the wine you will need either a lid with airlock or cloth tied down to the top of the bucket, depending on the recipe/instructions.

Hopefully the wine isn't too bold or leave any residual flavors behind, so you can use the bucket for beer again.

No it was just a brewing bucket with a clip on lid that I bought from the local Wilkinson's. the recipe didn't say it needed one an airlock, it was a Conkerwood ale I used. I have sterilised it now so it smells of nothing.
Probably easier if I just get a wine fermenting bucket as they use airlocks.

No airlock is needed the first week for wine. After the first rack/week it does need to be airlocked.

You don't leave wine in a bucket for more than a week or 10 days, and you don't NEED an airlock. After that, you need a carboy with an airlock.

You don't leave wine in a bucket for more than a week or 10 days, and you don't NEED an airlock. After that, you need a carboy with an airlock.

I am gonna make a 30 bottle one so a propper wine bucket would be better I think. Thanks for the help

I am gonna make a 30 bottle one so a propper wine bucket would be better I think. Thanks for the help

Wrong, a 6 gallon carboy is required for a 30 bottle batch.

Buckets leave way too much headspace (the surface area of wine in contact with air) for anything longer than a week or so.

DoctorCAD said:
Wrong, a 6 gallon carboy is required for a 30 bottle batch.

Buckets leave way too much headspace (the surface area of wine in contact with air) for anything longer than a week or so.

Possible we are thinking of the same thing, I am thinking of a carboy being the small 6 bottle glass thing, is that a demijohn? the one in Wilkinsons has 2 plastic handles and has an air filter fitted to the top and is about 2ft tall possibly

DoctorCAD said:
Carboys come in many sizes, you need one that can hold 23 liters (6gallons).

Can I link photo's here? I could add a pic of e one I am getting

Back