Coriander and Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
Austin Homebrew offers Coriander seeds and Sweet Orange Peel...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=468

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=469

I was thinking about brewing their Blue Moon or New Belgium Sunshine Wheat and adding the Coriander and Orange Peel to my secondary... In hopes, that the additional flavors will make the beer closer to a Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, which IMHO has many more flavors happening than either the BM of NBSW...

What I would like to know is how much of each ingredient would I add to the secondary for a 5 gallon batch ?

I also see we have new member AustinHomeBrew here now, so maybe Forest can help answer this question as well...

And Forest, if you do see this thread, when are you guys gonna do a Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat Clone? It's become very popular with the crowd I hang out with... :rockin:

And BTW Forest, great service, great company, great kits... keep up the good work brother... Next time I get to Austin I will visit the store for sure...

Thanks in advance, :mug:

I like to use 1 oz of bitter orange peel and .5 oz of crushed corriander seeds in my Wits, but it's really up to you. That's what makes this hobby so great.

I'd guess at least an ounce or two, but you're right. There's very little orange/coriander taste with most recipes. I've even taken to using 1.5oz in my wheats just to get a little extra flavor, but with little success. Let me know how it goes

RS

ohiobrewtus said:
I like to use 1 oz of bitter orange peel and .5 oz of crushed corriander seeds in my Wits, but it's really up to you. That's what makes this hobby so great.

hey thanks for the reply... good to know what kinda volume of each i will need...

you use the bitter instead of the sweet..., interesting. to me what i am looking for is more of a sweet orange instead of bitter.

so i think i will go grab a leinenkugel out of the fridge right now and refresh my memory to see if bitter or sweet is the way to go... :mug:

RedSun said:
I'd guess at least an ounce or two, but you're right. There's very little orange/coriander taste with most recipes. I've even taken to using 1.5oz in my wheats just to get a little extra flavor, but with little success. Let me know how it goes

RS

thanks RedSun, i just think the orange/coriander addition would really dial in some extra nice flavors.

so according to you 2 oz or more might be the way to go huh?

I love wits and enjoy pushing the "spice" limit.

I'd have no problem adding 1 oz each of coriander and bitter peel to the boil for 15 minutes, and then steeping the same amount in 3 cups of water and cooling and tossing into the secondary.

You really need to get those spices to a boil though to extract the flavors.

BierMuncher said:
I love wits and enjoy pushing the "spice" limit.

I'd have no problem adding 1 oz each of coriander and bitter peel to the boil for 15 minutes, and then steeping the same amount in 3 cups of water and cooling and tossing into the secondary.

You really need to get those spices to a boil though to extract the flavors.

interesting, so just adding them to secondary will not get the flavors into the beer that i am desiring...

plus another vote for bitter... i am off to the fridge now !!!

so, i should to add some to the boil and then steep some more and add to secondary.

now that sounds like a plan, thanks mang... :mug:

BrewProject said:
interesting, so just adding them to secondary will not get the flavors into the beer that i am desiring...
You really need the steeping to get the flavors out...plus a good 3-5 minute boil will kill any nasties that may want to harm you and those you love... :D

sipping on a leinenkugel now and maybe bitter orange peel is the way to go.

i love this beer, such complex flavors !!!:rockin:

but i think this settles it...

tomorrow, some friends and i are brewing a samuel smith oatmeal stout clone, but next on the list is probably gonna be the blue moon clone, with orange peel/coriander added to the boil and more steeped and added to the secondary.

this hobby is a lot of fun, especially when doing a little experimentation...

all other opinions are welcome... :mug: bring them on !!! :ban:

BierMuncher said:
You really need the steeping to get the flavors out...plus a good 3-5 minute boil will kill any nasties that may want to harm you and those you love... :d

great information man, thanks a bunch...

let me make sure i understand... you add them at the end of the boil for 3-5 mins...

then steep (for how long ???) before adding more to the secondary?

thanks again...

sunset wheat... complex well uh ok. Two words: Fruity Pebbles.

+1 for bitter orange peel, and yes you should throw them in the end of the boil not the secondary unless you steep them in water first.

BrewProject said:
...let me make sure i understand... you add them at the end of the boil for 3-5 mins...

then steep (for how long ???) before adding more to the secondary?

thanks again...
I toss mine in the boil with 10-15 minutes left. The orange peel will float for the first 2-3 minutes. (actually it will float the whole time....but they'll be good and soaked after a few minutes.)

The thing you'll want to do is taste test the wort in the primary before deciding to add more at secondary time. As long as you get those things to a boil, just a minute or two is enough before adding to the secondary.

z987k said:
sunset wheat... complex well uh ok. Two words: Fruity Pebbles.

+1 for bitter orange peel, and yes you should throw them in the end of the boil not the secondary unless you steep them in water first.

hey thanks for the info...

i realize a lot of people think it's like fruity peebles or blueberry and don't like it, but for a wheat i think it's rather flavorful...

and obviously it's complex, just look at the picture :rockin: :D

SP_FruityPebblesHR.jpg

BierMuncher said:
I toss mine in the boil with 10-15 minutes left. The orange peel will float for the first 2-3 minutes. (actually it will float the whole time....but they'll be good and soaked after a few minutes.)

The thing you'll want to do is taste test the wort in the primary before deciding to add more at secondary time. As long as you get those things to a boil, just a minute or two is enough before adding to the secondary.

thanks BierMuncher,

that's just the information I needed... :mug:

bitter orange peel/coriander it is... into the boil for 15 mins, taste when racking to the secondary and add more if needed :ban:

the blue moon clone I did calls for 10 grams of coriander, 5 grams of bitter orange peel and 5 grams of sweet orange peel.

Toss that in with 15 minutes left of the boil and you're good. :)

BrewProject said:
hey thanks for the info...

i realize a lot of people think it's like fruity peebles or blueberry and don't like it, but for a wheat i think it's rather flavorful...

and obviously it's complex, just look at the picture :rockin: :D

SP_FruityPebblesHR.jpg

Not knocking it, I don't mind drinking it. It's just what it tastes like to me.

Kevin Dean said:
the blue moon clone I did calls for 10 grams of coriander, 5 grams of bitter orange peel and 5 grams of sweet orange peel.

Toss that in with 15 minutes left of the boil and you're good. :)

another great bit of information....

thanks Kevin Dean...

i might just add the bitter and the sweet....

good information and opinions in this thread... :rockin:

z987k said:
Not knocking it, I don't mind drinking it. It's just what it tastes like to me.

no offense taken man, hope i didn't offend you... just playing around...

i really like the stuff, had a couple today while brewing...

had 4 friends over today to brew, everyone learned something, we brewed, we grilled brats and burgers and we had a few beers :mug: :mug: :mug: got the oatmeal stout in the primary, OG came in at 1.064 :ban:

I am with BierMuncher on this one: boil the spices.

Last wiezen I did, I used a regular orange and a kitchen grater. Peel of one orange grated directly into the brewkettle with 15 min. left on the boil. I also used 1/2 oz of corriander, which I ground using my grain grinder.

I thought the flavor was good, with enough of both spices. But I could see how someone who likes lots of spice could use a little more.

One thing I did notice is the citrus taste became more pronounced with time in the bottle.

Also, the regular orange made for a really beautiful color brew!

sleepystevenson said:
I am with BierMuncher on this one: boil the spices.

Last wiezen I did, I used a regular orange and a kitchen grater. Peel of one orange grated directly into the brewkettle with 15 min. left on the boil. I also used 1/2 oz of corriander, which I ground using my grain grinder.

I thought the flavor was good, with enough of both spices. But I could see how someone who likes lots of spice could use a little more.

One thing I did notice is the citrus taste became more pronounced with time in the bottle.

Also, the regular orange made for a really beautiful color brew!

thanks for the response sleepystevenson,
gonna order my ingredients today...

Bitter orange peel isn't really bitter, and it doesn't really add an orange flavour either. It's more of a floral spice kind of flavour/aroma.

eviljafar said:
Bitter orange peel isn't really bitter, and it doesn't really add an orange flavour either. It's more of a floral spice kind of flavour/aroma.

that's cool, i will see what it does for the beer.

i ordered the blue moon clone, bitter orange peel and corriander seed today...

should be here by wednesday... :mug:

I made a batch of the AHBS Belgian Wit this summer (it used bitter orange peel and coriander) and it came out fantastic. Better than Blue Moon, better than Hooegarten, and better than Sunset Wheat.

We didn't use any of the extras (no yeast nutrient, no alcohol booster) other than the yeast upgrade to Wyeast 3944. I made a starter 16 hours before we started brewing (2 oz light dme, 2 oz wheat dme in 16 oz water) and had no problems.

I am intrigued by the Northern Imperial Wit and may brew that up some time this spring.

got my kit from AHBS... the kit does come with 10 grams of coriander, 5 grams of bitter orange peel and 5 grams of sweet orange peel.

so i will use that and possibly some extra, since i ordered coriander and bitter orange peel...

brew day for this one is planned for Dec 8th...

Well I haven't had the time to brew this one yet...

With that said, it's planned for this Saturday. Have two friends coming over to help.

Best part of this Brew Day will be I am back in supply of home brew, so we will be enjoying some Vanilla Porters while we brew !!! :mug:

Brewed this last Saturday. Added the 10 grams of Coriander, 5 grams of the sweet orange peel and 5 grams of the bitter orange peel (that came with the kit) the last 15 mins of the boil.

But in addition to that, I doubled things up a bit by adding another 10 grams of Coriander and 10 grams of bitter orange peel the last 15 mins...

When I rack to my secondary I will taste it and may add even more Coriander and bitter peel at that time...

looking forward to this creation... :mug:

well i racked this one to the secondary a week ago...

i tasted it and decided to add more coriander and orange peel. :ban:

will be bottling next saturday, when i hope to find an even more flavorful beer... it was pretty good tasting when i racked it, but not really a leinenkugel, more of a very flavorful blue moon, which is still good in my book....

enjoying me some oatmeal stout these days... turned out nice, although not quite as tasty as my vanilla porter...

:mug:

I've only had the Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat once. I was completely overwhelmed by the orangey-ness. I'm personally not a big fan of beers with a lot of intense fruit flavor. BM is about as fruity as I like my beer. I like beers with orange or coriander. Just enough to be noticable.

My preference aside; you may want to try a fruit extract. They may give you the amount of flavor you are looking for.

greeting fellow leinie lover! you may want to try a bit of nutmeg in the brew (thats what the sunset wheat has in it). also, it couldnt hurt to use some blueberry in the brew (i believe the sunset wheat has that as well, or at least it tastes that way!)

I just made wit on Saturday, I used .5 oz each of bitter and sweet orange peel and 1 oz. of corriander. I used the zest of 4 oranges, as per the Jamil show podcast, I'm gonna see if that adds any flavor.

go easy on the corriander. sounds like a great idea to put "more" in if a little is good but i'm here to tell you it will suck out loud

.5 oz or less of crushed corriander or less in the last 5 minutes of the boil

i tasted this last Sunday after one week in the bottle.

very good carbonation so far and I thought the flavor was outstanding. A little more flavorful and orangy than a blue moon.

Had four friends that also tried it. All of them said it might be one of the best I have done... :ban: :mug:

Professor Frink said:
I just made wit on Saturday, I used .5 oz each of bitter and sweet orange peel and 1 oz. of corriander. I used the zest of 4 oranges, as per the Jamil show podcast, I'm gonna see if that adds any flavor.

Can you explain more on what you did? Zest as in the guts, or zest as in some of the outer skin? Did you put in boil? In fermenter (primary/secondary?)

trent said:
Can you explain more on what you did? Zest as in the guts, or zest as in some of the outer skin? Did you put in boil? In fermenter (primary/secondary?)

i believe he meant, part of the skin. maybe running the orange over a fine cheese grater..., not sure, but that is what if means to me...

anyway, this batch has been bottled for 2 weeks. after working around the house all day I am about to try my 2nd bottle. :mug: :ban:

kaj030201 said:
greeting fellow leinie lover! you may want to try a bit of nutmeg in the brew (thats what the sunset wheat has in it). also, it couldnt hurt to use some blueberry in the brew (i believe the sunset wheat has that as well, or at least it tastes that way!)

hmm, i just read this post...

nutmeg and blueberry huh?

will keep that in mind next time i brew this one... it's worth a try ;)

well last weekend, some friends and I did 2 batches of this Blue Moon Clone.

We doubled up the orange peel and coriander again. We will double it again when placed in the secondary.

And in my 5 gallons, I am adding 5 lbs of blueberry puree along with some crushed up nutmeg seeds...

anyone have an idea about how many nutmeg seeds i should crush up for the secondary ???

thanks

I brewed a wheat today for the first time and added Coriander & Sweet Orange Peel in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I put it in primary and pitched a Belgian Wheat Yeast. Through reading about Coriander, it seems that it can take over the taste if its in the fermenter.

I tossed most of the trub, but some got into the fermenter. Should I wait for primary to finish and rack it to secondary? Or should I not be concerned since I tossed about 80-85% of the trub?

Back