Anyone make malt syrup from whats left in your mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
Hey all. I was just wondering if anyone has a habit of making homemade malt syrup from the left over runnings in the mash tun. I fly sparge in a round 5 gallon cooler and I let it go until the runnings are around 1.010 or 3 Brix on the refractometer. Because of my process I am often left with a gallon of sub-1.010 wort in the cooler.

After I'm done with my brew I'll take some of that and put it in a large sautee pan and add some lemon juice and some cane sugar using the tried and true TLAR* method and then boil it down. I try to get it so that the syrup reliably coats the back of a spoon and that usually happens after about 30 minutes of reduction and a final volume of less than 1 pint.

My kids like it on their pancakes, although they prefer the real maple syrup. It seems to keep for quite a while in a covered pint jar in the fridge... and I'm thikning I can just add it to the boil on the next brewday if any lasts that long. It should be a suitable substitue for honey in cooking.... but I haven't tested it.

Anyone else doing this? If so, whats your recipe?

*That Looks About Right

That sounds tasty! I'm going to have to try this.

I bet you could even make malt candies with the leftover: just bring the sugar to hard-crack temp. Also, I'm sure caramel from this would be damn good over ice-cream (Basically just heat your recipe a little more and add a little butter and cream).

Oh the possibilities! Thanks for the idea Nutty!

That's an awesome idea, I may have to try it next brew day. Would be great on some spent grain bread with butter too.

I do this every brewday, boil it down till it has some nice toffee flavors on the stovetop while the full-wort boil is taking place and than add it at flameout.

It's been adding some nice flavors to my beer and boosts my eff. a bit.

You should listen to the grain and hops episode of the homebrewed chef. Paxton talks about making and using that kind of stuff.

Back