A pickling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to pick a peck of pickled peppers?? How many pecks of pickled peppers will the Happy Mug pick??

sorry, couldn't resist :cross:

loop

I don't know if this is the correct method or not, but it's always worked for me. I just put them in a jar, add half vinegar and half water, boil in the microwave and screw the lid on. The cooling will suck the lid in and make a seal. I've had a jar last a couple of years this way. You could probably do all vinegar if you want. Also, I sometimes like to add a piece or two of garlic.

A few years ago I did it when I had a glut of chillies and didn't need any more dried ones. I can't remember the exact recipe but it was basically pick the best of your chillies for the job and wash and dry them.
Boil some distilled spirit vinegar (it's higher in acidity than most vinegars and that helps with preservation - it's also neutral flavoured) for a couple of a minutes - I think I added a few mustard seeds and a bay leaf or two into the boil just for flavour. Leave it to cool.
Pop the chillies in a sterilised jar, top up with the cooled vinegar and seal.
Store for at least two months before using.

Loop - I'd have been dissapointed if somebody didn't do it! :cross:

Thanks guys. I'm thinking jalapenos, onion, garlic and mustard seed, with the water, vinegar and salt based off the recipies in the link. Once pickled and opened, they'll be all gone in a month or so. I'll boil them in the nuke box and put star-san sanitized lids on, then keep them in the fridge.

I just don't feel like boiling jars. I guess it wouldn't be that bad, but I'll probably only get two pints worth of jalapenos anyway.

Heck, I could boil two jars. The boil it is, bill!

Back