Lower temp for clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
It seems like the last couple of batches of a pale ale I have made have taken forever to clear in the secondary, then I usually dry hop before its fully cleared and am not sure if I am getting the full effect when doing so. I have also placed my secondary in a cooler room then it was in during the primary stage, and seem to get a quicker clearing effect then when leaving the secondary in the same room.

My question: is it OK to rack into a secondary and then place the secondary into a room that is 3-6 degrees cooler then the primary was in? any possible off flavors? I haven't noticed a difference between the two, but maybe I am missing something.

Most people cold crash with temps as close to freezing as possible. The colder the temp, the faster your beer will clear.

That's fine, but you want to make sure fermentation has completed before racking to secondary. Even better (providing you've got the fridge space, and fermentation is DEFINITELY finished) is crash cooling a few days before kegging/bottling.

My normal routine is to leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks, then crash cool 2-3 days before I'm ready to keg. Once kegged, it goes in the brew-fridge for anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months, depending on the style...and depending on my consumption rate! :cross: Before bringing it inside, I'll draw a half-pint with a picnic tap, to make sure it's both clear and ready to drink.

Once I've installed a keg in my kegerator, I give it a few days to settle, as simply carrying it inside stirs up a little bit of sediment. (Much like cask ale in a pub.) Then it pours crystal clear.

Back