Beer Dinner Host Interactions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmanzorro

Reaction score
When you go to a nice beer dinner what do you expect in terms of interacting with the host?

I'm presenting my third beer and food pairing at a friend's restaurant next week and I'm wondering if I should change up the presentation a bit.

It's typically set up in a horseshoe shape and I stand up front before each course is presented, and discuss why I chose that pairing. But each time I do that, it takes a little time to get everyone's attention and I feel like I'm interrupting people's conversations.

Would it be better if I just discussed everything upfront and let everyone enjoy the meal the rest of the evening?

For reference, we usually have about 30 people and we have menus printed out with all of the pairings.

Some of my favorite beer dinners I've gone to, the host goes to each once or twice throughout the restaurant and talks with each table for a few minutes, but the way the restaurant is setup, I don't think I can really do that.

Thanks!

Can you print up table talkers for each diner. A card with the course and beer pairing, along with a small explanation for the pairing. That way you may be able to circulate around with the diners more. Additionally, could the table arrangement be changed to allow for better interaction with the diners?

The menus on the table have the beer, the food, and a brief description on how they fit together.

The tables could be rearranged to how they normally are arranged. 30 people probably fills half of the restaurant, but the owner also wants tables open for people who just want to order off the regular menu and not be part of the beer dinner.

Thanks for your input!

I guessing that the people at the food pairing paid to be there and have the restaurant meal? I'd say give any speech you have prepared at the beginning and then mingle around later, those that are interested in what you have to say will go out of their way to interact with you.

I've been to these at our local country club. Chef John (awesome BTW) goes into minute detail on the meal, then the beer, then why they are paired. I love it.

I would discuss the pairing as you present each of them. Yes, you're interrupting people, but that's expected. That's why they are there. My suggestion: instead of just blurting out "QUIET", bring a bell, or ding a wine glass with a butter knife, or similar. People know to STFU when someone is dinging a glass. It's far easier for you if somebody else does the dinging, or QUIET, or whatever.

I've been to these at our local country club. Chef John (awesome BTW) goes into minute detail on the meal, then the beer, then why they are paired. I love it.

I would discuss the pairing as you present each of them. Yes, you're interrupting people, but that's expected. That's why they are there. My suggestion: instead of just blurting out "QUIET", bring a bell, or ding a wine glass with a butter knife, or similar. People know to STFU when someone is dinging a glass. It's far easier for you if somebody else does the dinging, or QUIET, or whatever.

+10 ;)

If you do it all up front, people will forget what you said by the third course. And if I was at a beer dinner and they did it all up front, I would feel like the host was trying to "get it over with" and almost feel slighted.

And I agree with PP above. The owner getting everyone's attention by dinging the glass for you is probably ideal.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I never really got much feedback from my previous events because the people I don't know usually don't say anything, and the ones I do know, I'm not sure if they're just being nice or actually thought everything went well.

The dinner went really well on Tuesday! It was a bit smaller turn out than expected but that actually gave me some time to really sit down and talk with everyone there. Thanks again for your help!

I interrupted each time, but there was a bit of a lull between courses as the wait staff was pouring beers, so it worked out nicely!

Back