" Cold Crashing"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidkid267

Reaction score
I don't pretend to know much but I have a question about bringing the temp down on a fermenting IPA.

I am ready to add 2oz. of whole leaf cascade to my IPA after 8 days in primary, the hops are going in the primary carboy for at least two weeks. At the start of fermentation, the first in my new chest freezer with a dual Ranco, the temp probe fell off from being taped to the side of the carboy. In doing this the probe came in contact with the side of the freezer and therefore it was reading way lower than the actual fermenting wort. By this happening the heating element worked overtime and brought the temp of the wort up to probably the mid to high 70's for 5-6 hours. That being said I know the beer will have some banana flavor (esters?) but I don't mind since it should still be drinkable. Normally I would bring the temp down from 68-70 to 62-63 during the dry hopping to help a bit with clarity. Should I leave it up in the 68-70 range in hope that the yeast will still be able to take care of some of the esters?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

B

Are you sure the wort got up to mid to high 70's for 5-6 hours, or did the ambient temp get that high? If it's the ambient temp the beer may not have gotten that warm. That said, I would taste it to check for esters. If not, I would just continue on as you planned. If there are esters, then yes I would leave it for a couple of more weeks on the yeast cake before dry hopping.

Back