Lots of yeast in my glass.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
I'm by no means new to kegging, but I'm a little concerned right now. I kegged a Belgian Dubbel about 3 weeks ago. It's been at a consistant 35 degrees (serving temp) and 15psi while carbonating. It's fully carbonated and tastes incredible, but none of the yeast seems to have settled out. I thought maybe I just had to pull a few pints, nope. I pulled off an entire pitcher (4-5 pints) and it was still thick with yeast.

Has anyone had this problem before? What can I do to fix it? With this tasting as good as it does, I'd hate to serve it looking so ugly. I'll drink it no problem, but my friends probably won't touch it. I suppose that may be good.

how long did you ferment it before keging? are you sure it was done fermenting before you keged?

it sounds like there where still plenty of yeast in suspension when you keged. when you chilled the yeast went to bed and settled out. so basically you cold crashed IN the keg. you can probably rack from your current keg to a new keg and leave the yeast behind.

I fermented for two weeks before kegging. Probably a little short for a dubbel, but the gravity was right on the mark before kegging. I did suck up a lot of yeast while siphoning, but shouldn't that settle out when it's been in the keg three weeks? If I was to rack to another keg, I'm assuming I would have to start all over with carbonating, or would the carbonation stay in solution enough to only take another few days to balance out?

you rushed it to the keg. just because you can keg doesn't mean you get to take shortcuts in the clearing process.

2 weeks is pretty short for a dubbel. you still had a lot of yeast in solution, and siphoning some accidentally didn't help. next time go for 4 weeks in primary on a bigger beer, or use a secondary with some crash cooling.

+1 for gelatin i cant believe i went 4 years without it. plain knoxx from your grocery store 1 tsp dissolved in in 1 pint of 180 degree water. i get clear beer the very first pull. my method is adding to secondary and crash cooling for like 3-4 days then siphon to keg. clear beer.

Back