question about cider yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
hi there to all of you. I'm gonna make my firs cider ever, so I was wondering can I use Lalvin RC 212 Wine Yeast that I already have?

what kind of yeast is the best for cider?

You can use a wine yeast. Yeast selection is a matter of taste, people who like dry ciders with a higher ABV will usually like wine yeast, and people who want a sweeter or low ABV will use something like an Ale yeast. I like the White Labs yeast made for hard cider (WLP775).

I thought I'd elaborate a bit more. Using a yeast that ferments at a higher temp. like an Ale yeast will allow you to cold crash, and having a yeast that flocculates well helps with clarity. It's also good to pick a yeast that leaves a fruity profile (my opinion again) because it complements the apple aroma.

There are specialized cider yeasts, like WLP775 English Cider Yeast, that will ferment dry and retain more apple flavor; but I've always used a wine yeast.

I use wine yeasts on all of mine, and have yet to try a cider yeast. Good thing about wine yeasts is that they are known to let fruity flavors though.

hi there to all of you. I'm gonna make my firs cider ever, so I was wondering can I use Lalvin RC 212 Wine Yeast that I already have?

what kind of yeast is the best for cider?

It really depends on what kind of cider you want.

many people are using a clean ale yeast (such as notty or US-05) to make a nice clean cider that's not as dry as using a wine yeast.

I highly recommend this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

Back