foam city

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronwillen

Reaction score
I finally got my double tap tower so I wouldnt have to keep switching the beer line to tap both kegs....hurry!! Rather then use my current beer lines, I used the beer lines that came on the tower...3/16ths at about 4.8 feet. I have my reg at 14psi....and the beer temp is 36.5 degrees. My wit is coming out as like straight foam. Any ideas?

You need longer lines. Seriously. Try 10' lines and see what happens.

That or bleed and lower your PSI (depending on your beer it may become improperly carbonated this way- longer lines do help. Search for 'beer line length calculator').

Please explain the correlation behind length of lines and foaming issues.
I have a 4 foot hose at 6psi with foaming issues on a amber beer.
How would a longer hose solve my problem?

The hose has resistance. For a balanced system you want just enough pressure on your keg to get the beer to the end of the line and out the tap. Each foot of line increases that resistance.

That's why with your short lines you can lower pressure to make it come out right, but your beer will become less carbed if it's under lower pressure long enough.

There are plenty of online calculators that will help you balance a system with pressure and line length, I find these to be more of a PITA than they are worth. You could spend hours of frustration cutting lines for different styles and pressures or just go with 10' of 3/16 ID line and have the best overall line length for most styles. For a higher carbonated beer like a hefeweizen, you might try 15'.

Back