You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you have a dream that there are 15 mason jars filled with different yeast, but you open a drawer in the bottom of your fridge to see the freshly stepped up yeast sitting uncovered, and realize it was a nightmare!

When you look at the kids table after dinner and think to yourself " I know exactly what that needs " ... and break out the star-san.

SupervisingChildren said:
When your 6 yr old son points out to random people that Sam Adams labels come off easily Or the kids tell everyone that you make beer

"Dada beer" has been in our two year old's vocabulary for a good six months now. When my wife was pregnant with our son, our daughter would regularly remind us that dada drinks beer and mama drinks water.

When your daughter comes over, sees your bottle or glass empty and grabs another out of the fridge for you without you asking or ever teaching her

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Home Brew mobile app

When your daughter comes over, sees your bottle or glass empty and grabs another out of the fridge for you without you asking or ever teaching her

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Home Brew mobile app

That sounds familiar haha. My 6 yr old would get me a brew every few minutes when we were building his playhouse over the summer. I had a good 6er worth of backups before I told him that I couldn't keep up with him haha.
And the funniest part was he decided he was the "safety manager"!

12pmmike said:
You have to explain to your friends how your eye lashes got singed when you were trying to see if your flame was optimal and that it is not weird. And that you are not obsessed with beer..

If I told my friends I wasn't obsessed with beer, they would know I was lying.

Helly said:
"Dada beer" has been in our two year old's vocabulary for a good six months now. When my wife was pregnant with our son, our daughter would regularly remind us that dada drinks beer and mama drinks water.

With my 2 year old niece it's "daddy's juice" or "uncle Jim's juice"

That sounds familiar haha. My 6 yr old would get me a brew every few minutes when we were building his playhouse over the summer. I had a good 6er worth of backups before I told him that I couldn't keep up with him haha.
And the funniest part was he decided he was the "safety manager"!

A while back my 3 year old pulled me a pint from the kegerator when he noticed I didn't have a beer. He set it down in front of me with a prideful smile and said "Here go daddy. I bringed you a beers."
Me: "Oh, well thanks buddy... that was very nice... (what the hell is that sound?) "

Turned out he drew a perfect pint but forgot to shut off the tap. There was about a quart of IPA on the floor before I realized what was happening. He doesn't touch the fridge anymore. The sad part is that he poured a better beer than some "professional" bartenders I've come across. :mug:

The thought was a good one though. He loves you enough to try & make you proud of him. Pretty good for a 3 year old. Reminds me of when I was a kid. I could name the commercial from the first note. Mom & dad used to like showing that off to relatives & friends.

When you go to Bass Pro Shops, see a turkey fryer with a spigot and think "Oh Wow, Bass Pro made an outdoor brewing kettle!" Only to then realize it was a turkey frier...

Then you add said turkey fryer to your Christmas wish list anyways...

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Stainless-Steel-Turkey-Fryer-with-Spigot/product/10211714/

Oh yeah, BTW you know you're a homebrewer when you show your wife that pic, and yhe first thing she says is : "they sell homebrew stuff at BassPro shops? That figures." ;-)

A Brew Strong show with John Palmer (who is a metallurgist by trade) suggests that we really overstate the dangers of copper or lead from fittings leaching into our beers. Way below any dangerous levels.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1030

Good to know. I'm a piss poor brewer and my idea of an upgrade is moving from a 6qt anodized pot to a 12qt SS for my 2.5g batches. I do have that baby on my list because it also gets me brewing outside, wife is getting tired of the smell :p

A Brew Strong show with John Palmer (who is a metallurgist by trade) suggests that we really overstate the dangers of copper or lead from fittings leaching into our beers. Way below any dangerous levels.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1030

Good to know! I knew that copper kettles are used all the time (professionally), but I'm positive that the copper on these small pots is a much more inferior grade!

The thought was a good one though. He loves you enough to try & make you proud of him. Pretty good for a 3 year old. Reminds me of when I was a kid. I could name the commercial from the first note. Mom & dad used to like showing that off to relatives & friends.

Oh, yes. His heart was definitely in the right place and he didn't get reprimanded for it. I just explained to him that it was not something he should make a habit of because it has a potential to make a mess. He also has played with the handle on an empty spigot and when I hooked up a fresh keg beer went shooting out of the other side of the door. His 11 year old sister on the other hand plays beertender on a somewhat regular basis.

I suppose you know you're a homebrewer when your kids can draw a better beer than bartenders at most bars and restaurants I've visited and they respect the beer without pouring off a half pint for a little foam.

When you see some shiny metal structure at a dumpster and you have to refrain yourself from going and taking it before the homeless guy does...

When you get home from a weekend away to discover that either you screwed up setting the thermostat for the weekend, or something went sideways with it -- and you come home (after being gone for three days) to find that it's 44° in your house -- and the air conditioner is running. And the first thought through your head (after resetting the thermostat and checking to make sure a pipe didn't freeze) is "Well, at least my cider is done with fermentation"

Suppose this counts as a modified cold crash?

(And brings more question in my mind as to whether I want to bottle carb the cider at all, or just bottle it flat -- I would imagine the yeast would still have enough in them to carb)

When you get home from a weekend away to discover that either you screwed up setting the thermostat for the weekend, or something went sideways with it -- and you come home (after being gone for three days) to find that it's 44° in your house -- and the air conditioner is running. And the first thought through your head (after resetting the thermostat and checking to make sure a pipe didn't freeze) is "Well, at least my cider is done with fermentation"

Suppose this counts as a modified cold crash?

(And brings more question in my mind as to whether I want to bottle carb the cider at all, or just bottle it flat -- I would imagine the yeast would still have enough in them to carb)

I prefer it still, had it both ways and the carb just seems to get in the way

They will carb just fine. I cold crash mine by filling up my swamp cooler with ice and wrapping it in sleeping bags for 2 days. The yeast cake turns into peanut butter, making it insanely easy to siphon!

(You know you're a homebrewer) ...when you notice that your pee has good head retention

Did you you take any hydro readings? We need numbers man! I want to know the % of alcohol absorbed.

We need to figure out the amount and rate of consumption to give us the best absorption rate possible.

Oh yeah, BTW you know you're a homebrewer when you show your wife that pic, and yhe first thing she says is : "they sell homebrew stuff at BassPro shops? That figures." ;-)

My wife said the same thing...I had to show her another picture before she believed that it wasn't meant for homebrew.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Home Brew mobile app

You know your sons going to be a home brewer when
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387856256.035495.jpg

You know you're a homebrewer when you hear a new, unique word and the first thing that comes to your mind is:

"...That would be a pretty cool name for a beer! I need to brew - STAT!!"

Back